new quicken version wont install

Options
when i try to install newer version of quicken i always get a "error occurred" . then i click the details box and it says location is being used by another process. when i try and find that location it does not exist. how do i fix it ? also my older version automatically updated before when i started quicken.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Ricker702700

There can be a couple of reasons for this error.  If you are backing up to the cloud (such as DropBox or OneDrive) that could be blocking the install.  But it may be something else, since other users have recently had similar error codes and sometimes it is caused by other things.

You could try rebooting and that may fix it, but I believe the easiest fix for this is to simply install the Mondo Patch.  Here's the LINK to the most recent one.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Ricker702700

There can be a couple of reasons for this error.  If you are backing up to the cloud (such as DropBox or OneDrive) that could be blocking the install.  But it may be something else, since other users have recently had similar error codes and sometimes it is caused by other things.

You could try rebooting and that may fix it, but I believe the easiest fix for this is to simply install the Mondo Patch.  Here's the LINK to the most recent one.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ricker702700
    Options
    Fixed
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Frankx So if this is being caused by Dropbox or One Drive, will Quicken get this fixed, or would Quicken advise us to discontinue use of those backup apps? Would it be necessary to turn off both those apps before downloading a new version everytime?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @TTSguy,

As I believe I noted above, sometimes Dropbox or MS One Drive CAN cause this issue "But it may be something else".  It is impossible, based on the information provided to know for sure.  The solution of using the Mondo Patch seemed to me to be the easiest fix to update the app.

Frankx

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TTSguy said:
    @Frankx So if this is being caused by Dropbox or One Drive, will Quicken get this fixed, or would Quicken advise us to discontinue use of those backup apps? Would it be necessary to turn off both those apps before downloading a new version everytime?
    The problem isn't backing up to such "cloud folders", the problem is having the currently opened data file in such "cloud folders".

Quicken needs to release the lock on the data file when it is doing things like updates and other operations like backup.  At that point in time if the "cloud backup program" kicks in it will lock the data file while it updates, and as such lock Quicken out of reopening that data file, and causing such errors.

The same thing is also possible with the program/configuration files of Quicken during updating of them if a backup program or anti-virus program blocks Quicken's install program from updating the files it needs.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ricker702700
    Ricker702700 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Well i thought it was fixed but now there is a newer version 35:26 and it is doing the same thing. Won't install update, "Error Ocurred". [removed - profanity] How do I get the latest version?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well i thought it was fixed but now there is a newer version 35:26 and it is doing the same thing. Won't install update, "Error Ocurred". [removed - profanity] How do I get the latest version?
    Install from here:
    Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/