Where is migrationtool.exe?

I get the usual error message saying: The process cannot access the file 'C:\\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w1050\base\RPMMigration\MigrationTool.exe' because it is being used by another process.
I followed the rabbit down the hole and discovered there is nothing in the quickenpatch folder. NOTHING - ZIP - NADA.
C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch is as far as I can go. So it isn't being 'used' by another program. It isn't even there! So my question is why is the update program trying to access a program that doesn't exist? And where did it go? Assuming it lived in my pc at some time.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the screenshot.  It shows you have installed the latest version so the fix I'd mentioned earlier should already be installed. 
    Unfortunately, the only time that it seems this issue pops up is when trying to do a version update so until the next version update is available we really won't know if the Mondo Patch fixed the issue for you or not. 
    The way I see it you have 3 choices at this time:
    1. Wait until the next version update and see if the version you currently have installed now fixed the problem.
    2. Be proactive now by running Validate & Repair.  V&R can fix some program issues.
    3. Be proactive now by uninstalling Quicken and then downloading a fresh installation file and install that.
    The choice is yours to make.  I think if I had been having this problem I would probably bite the bullet and do #3.  If it is due to some corruption of the current Quicken installation (which could potentially affect things other than the standard version update process) #3 would the surest bet to get rid of that corruption in one fell swoop.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• bobow51
    bobow51 Member ✭✭
    I cannot install the latest update. The message says “The process cannot access the file ‘c:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenpatch\w5157\base\RPMMigration\MigrationTool.ex’s’ because it is being used by another process.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Which version are you running? 
    There was an issue with anti-virus software interfering with updating the Quicken version.  The current released version no longer has this issue but you might need to take a simple step in order to get the version update installed:  Turn off your anti-virus software...just for the version update process.  Many have said this allowed them to install the update without getting this error message.
    If you still have an issue updating your installation version from within Quicken, you can download and install the Mondo Patch from here:  https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product.

• 58kopykat
    58kopykat Member ✭✭
    The Mondo Patch has been the only way I've been able to update for many months now. The program path has a dead end with an empty folder. So somewhere along the line, Quicken deleted the file it's looking for to do the update. I've turned off the anti-virus, I've done soft & hard reboots. Nothing I do makes a difference. That's why I decided to look for the file myself and discovered it doesn't exist on my pc.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2021
    @58kopykat - I believe (not 100% sure) that the quickenpatch folder is used, by design, for temporary folders and files that are needed when doing an update and that when the update process has been interrupted or concluded everything in the folder is deleted.  I, too, have nothing under the quickenpatch folder.
    You have not provided the current version you are running so cannot determine whether or not you have already installed the version that specifically addressed this issue.  And I am not sure how much more I can assist with troubleshooting beyond the following:
    • It could be that there is something with your current installation that is corrupted and that Mondo Patches cannot fix.  Have you tried Validate & Repair?
    • If that doesn't fix the problem you might want to consider uninstalling Quicken and doing a fresh install.  You can download the latest full program file from https://www.quicken.com/activate or from your online Quicken.com account.

• 58kopykat
    58kopykat Member ✭✭
    It has been happening for many months now. And there seems to be an update each month. There doesn't seem to be a solution other than the Mondo Patch. In my mind, that shouldn't be needed to automatically update software.
    Screenshot of latest version from 'about'.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the screenshot.  It shows you have installed the latest version so the fix I'd mentioned earlier should already be installed. 
    Unfortunately, the only time that it seems this issue pops up is when trying to do a version update so until the next version update is available we really won't know if the Mondo Patch fixed the issue for you or not. 
    The way I see it you have 3 choices at this time:
    1. Wait until the next version update and see if the version you currently have installed now fixed the problem.
    2. Be proactive now by running Validate & Repair.  V&R can fix some program issues.
    3. Be proactive now by uninstalling Quicken and then downloading a fresh installation file and install that.
    The choice is yours to make.  I think if I had been having this problem I would probably bite the bullet and do #3.  If it is due to some corruption of the current Quicken installation (which could potentially affect things other than the standard version update process) #3 would the surest bet to get rid of that corruption in one fell swoop.