Accessing data files without password

If I upgrade my quicken from 2013, how do I access my files if I don't know my password for the data file?

Best Answer

• Jenauth
    Jenauth Member
    Answer ✓
    I had to call Quicken and they walked me through it. My backup was saved to One Drive and they said it had to be saved to an external drive.

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.... if you don't know your data file password - how are you opening the file now ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jenauth
    Jenauth Member
    I have it on my old computer and it does not ask me for a password
  • Jenauth
    Jenauth Member
    I am trying to move it to my new computer
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then it sounds like you don't have a password set on the data file.  You should be able to just open it in the new version. Did you buy the new version or do you want to keep using 2013 on the new computer?  You can stay on 2013.

If you don't have the 2013 CD you can download 2013 Deluxe for free here.   How to use an intermediate version to convert to a newer version

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

Then you might have to update it.  One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Jenauth
    Jenauth Member
    I decided to go ahead and update my subscription
  • Jenauth
    Jenauth Member
    I will call quicken tomorrow. I updated my subscription and I cannot get into it still on my new computer without this password.....
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subscription Quicken requires that it be registered with your Quicken Id/password.  The Quicken ID/password you used for this forum or the ID you used buying the software from the Quicken website is the Id/password it is asking for.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jenauth
    Jenauth Member
    Thank you. I tried that password and it won't take it.
  • Jenauth
    Jenauth Member
    This is now resolved. Thanks for all the help.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about sharing the solution so that if someone else has the same problem they can try your solution.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jenauth
    Jenauth Member
    Answer ✓
    I had to call Quicken and they walked me through it. My backup was saved to One Drive and they said it had to be saved to an external drive.
This discussion has been closed.