Remove category for multiple transactions

For various reasons, I would like to remove the category for a lot of transactions.  Unfortunately, "recategorize" allows one only to replace one category with another, not to remove the category altogether.  Can anyone suggest a work-around?
Thanks
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Recategorize the transactions to a new category named "DeleteMe". Once all the transactions have been recategorized, delete the category. The transactions will become uncategorized.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @asherfamily1

If you can give us a little more context, we can provide better guidance.

So, are you just trying to change the category for a lot of similar/identical type transactions?  Or do you want to eliminate a category that has lot of different type transactions, where those transactions will need to be recatagorized into a number of different categories?

And just to clarify - when you said "allows one only to replace one category with another, not to remove the category altogether" - it sounds like you are saying one cannot delete a category - which is not correct.

Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• asherfamily1
    asherfamily1 Member ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of transactions in different categories for which I wish to remove the category.  Not eliminate it, because other transactions will continue to use it.

So, when I am finished, the category field in the edited transactions will be blank

Thanks
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have a lot of transactions in different categories for which I wish to remove the category.  Not eliminate it, because other transactions will continue to use it.

So, when I am finished, the category field in the edited transactions will be blank

Thanks
    I suggest you create a blank category and use it to replace the category in the transactions where you wish to remove the category.  When you are finished the category field in the edited transactions will be blank.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to suggest the same thing.  Make up a new category for them.  I might start it with a z.   Like zblank so it gets sorted to the end.   But I can't think of a way to replace them except 1 at a time?  You can't do a find and replace unless there's some other common item in the description or somewhere.   

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• asherfamily1
    asherfamily1 Member ✭✭✭
    Sherlock — thanks. If it works that sounds like a very elegant solution
    volvogirl — thanks also. When a category list is created, one of the options when selecting a category is “recategorize”. That option allows user to select multiple transactions for which the category needs to be changed
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that would change all the transactions that had that category.  You said there are other transactions that would still use that cat.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Recategorize the transactions to a new category named "DeleteMe". Once all the transactions have been recategorized, delete the category. The transactions will become uncategorized.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• asherfamily1
    asherfamily1 Member ✭✭✭
    @volvogirl — one can select individual transactions to recategorize, or the first and last transactions in a range. It is also possible to first sort by payee, account, date, etc