On-Step-Update Settings Issue FIXED

retird
retird Member ✭✭✭✭
The issue discussed for hours at length here is now fixed. The Discussion with all the details was closed I saw and asked for it be re-opened so I could update the discussion on the FIX. 6 Hours later and it was still closed so here we go.....

So short version.. Called Tech Support again and asked to talk to a supervisor or the Escalation Department. This Supervisor person understood the issue and shared my screen but had never seen it in real life. Long story short 1.5 hours later and a lot of work it is fixed. He also said no issue with having the same data file on 2 computers... as long as they are not run at the same time. Been doing that for years in case 1 computer craps out....

The Discussion with the details is:

One Step Update Setting no longer saves the settings. Setting set years ago are gone.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    No where do you state what the fix is.  It would be nice to know for others that have come in with the same problem.

And on the two data files and not being a problem.  It really depends on what is done with the two data files and how they are created.

For instance I can certainly see a situation like this causing problems.
    Person copies that data file, with Windows File Explorer or the old copy methods before the new one that creates a "template" that changes the unique Id and deactivates all the online connections.

Now they use those two data files as if they are different.  In one they might add accounts that aren't in the other or delete them.  Since they are both still syncing to the same Quicken cloud dataset (even with Sync to Mobile/Web off) it is entirely possible that they syncing would "confuse" the two "different" data files and mess up.

On the other hand if you intend to copy the data file (with Windows File Explorer) and keep them in sync by copying them back and forth between the two machines that is a "supported use case".  And note if one isn't copying the data files back and forth, just doing the updating of the same data file with the exact same changes in both, then most likely that will still work because the two data files are very close to the same.  On the other hand say one only updates one of the machines infrequently and as such the two data files are getting very far apart (and the Quicken Cloud dataset) then they are pushing their luck.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    The fix is to contact Quicken Support and have a Supervisor resolve the issue. He went thru guided steps (while screen sharing and communicating by phone as I followed his instructions) to fix the issue. No other Support Tech had done this nor offered to but just told me to Report it to Quicken.. It was up to me to actually do the computer work as he made no changes but told me, step by step what do do. He watched every step as it was being done. As usual there is no way, nor the time, to document each step as we went thru it so you would have a "blow-by-blow" account of the process.

Chris_QPW all I know is for years and years I have maintained 2 computers with Quicken and updated from the financial institutions on each computer without issue. The only issue that started recently was that One-Step-Update would not save it's settings. I would have to manually check the boxes each time to identify which financial institution I wanted to update from. That's the issue that needed to be fixed. Now it is fixed and One-Step-Update works on both computers using the Vault. Same way as I have been doing for years.

I ponder whether the most recent Quicken Update just befor the issue may have caused the issue as historically updates can do strange things which create another update to fix...

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    all I know is for years and years
    To assume the world will never change around you isn't wise in my opinion.
    Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > To assume the world will never change around you isn't wise in my opinion.

Quicken changed greatly when Intuit sold it... yet I stayed with them... your comment was off topic I think and personally pointed...

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You are assuming that if you keep doing the same thing year after year it will have the same result when by your own statement you know that Quicken has been changed over that same period of time.  It might, but not understand what they have changed and how it might affect what you are doing can lead to surprises of the not so nice kind.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just so you know, since I don't know the details of how you copied those files and such I'm not suggesting that any of your problems are caused by them, but they could be.  And ever since Quicken started down the path of the Intuit Id/Quicken Id and syncing more and more to the Quicken cloud dataset (even with Sync to Mobile/Web off) it can't be taken for granted that things you did in the past that had no bad results will continue to true.

Currently Quicken is a mine field of things that the SuperUsers avoid to make sure that they don't run into the same problems the average Quicken users are reporting on here.
    Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    All I know for sure is when Intuit owned Quicken issues were much, much,much less frequent. Nuff said....

This discussion has been closed.