Quicken Deluxe in Windows10 has been downloading an incorrect security.

Download is correct re #shares but it's the wrong security. It downloads the security SI, which I don't own, instead of SIEGY. Quicken has an entire multi-year history of transactions but I just noticed the error recently.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There is no transaction history of any sort. No buys nor sells ever. I have some new info. Siemens changed its ticker symbol from SI to SIEGY on 5/6/2014. Silvergate Capital which now has the SI ticker symbol wasn't listed until 11/29/2019. I suspect this stock symbol switch is causing the problem. Quicken downloads from Schwab who holds the shares. Schwab only shows that I only hold Siemens (SIEGY); no Silvergate Capital shown in Schwab.

Also, SIEGY in Securities List has no Cusip ID shown. Blank.

If you have no transactions in Quicken for the security with the SIEGY symbol, delete the security.  You should then be able to reset the security name and the ticker symbol of the security with the ticker symbol SI.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Hi @WPiskorski

SI is the ticker for Silvergate Capital while SIEGY is the ticker for Siemens.  From your post - I assume you own Siemens and not Silvergate.  Did you ever own Silvergate in the past?

It is odd that the financial institution download would make such an error (i.e. getting the investment wrong).  Which financial institution are you "downloading" from?  Initially, did you setup this investment manually (i.e. before you started downloads on this account)?

Since this has been ongoing for some time, the easiest fix would likely be to change the stock symbol from "SI" to "SIEGY" in Quicken.  To do that:

1) Go to "Tools" > "Security List";
    2) Right-Click on the "Security Name" and choose "Edit";
    3) Change the "Symbol" filed from "SI" to "SIEGY" and click "OK";
    4) A pop-up box will appear as shown below - select "Delete quotes" for SI, and click OK

5) You will now be seeing the "Security Detail View" for Siemens with the correct ticker symbol.  In the upper right - click on "More" > "Download Historical Prices":
    6) Change the "Get prices for the last" box to "Five Years" > click on the "Clear All" button, and then page down to locate and then click on "Siemens" > an click "Update Now".

That will fix the problem and give you 5 years of accurate quotes for Siemens.

Let me know if you have any questions and how it goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• WPiskorski
    WPiskorski Member ✭✭
    The Security list has both SI which I don't have and SIEGY which I do have. There is no history for SIEGY, completely blank.
  • WPiskorski
    WPiskorski Member ✭✭
    Also, the Holdings view shows Silvergate Capital but when I hover cursor over it now it shows Siemens AG with the correct symbol SIEGY. When I try to change the Silvergate Capital name in Security Details I get a warning saying "You already have a security with that name."
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @WPiskorski

I have a couple of followup questions.

You said that there is "no history for SEIGY' - I assume you mean there is no price history/ quotes when you go to "Price History", is that correct? 

And when you said above "Quicken has an entire multi-year history of transactions"  those transactions are various transactions involving Siemens shares, where the "Name" of the security is incorrect but the data is correct, is that right?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• WPiskorski
    WPiskorski Member ✭✭
    There is no transaction history of any sort. No buys nor sells ever. I have some new info. Siemens changed its ticker symbol from SI to SIEGY on 5/6/2014. Silvergate Capital which now has the SI ticker symbol wasn't listed until 11/29/2019. I suspect this stock symbol switch is causing the problem. Quicken downloads from Schwab who holds the shares. Schwab only shows that I only hold Siemens (SIEGY); no Silvergate Capital shown in Schwab.
  • WPiskorski
    WPiskorski Member ✭✭
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you have no transactions in Quicken for the security with the SIEGY symbol, delete the security.  You should then be able to reset the security name and the ticker symbol of the security with the ticker symbol SI.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Hi again @WPiskorski,

Base on all the information that you've provided, all you need to do is to change the name of the security in Quicken.

To accomplish that ;

1) Go to Tools > Security List;
    2) Page down and locate the security with the ticker SIEGY and click on it;
    3) Click the "Edit Details" button > and in the Name box - change the name to Siemens AG
    4) Click Okay, and you're done.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Frankx.

• WPiskorski
    WPiskorski Member ✭✭
    All fixed. Thank you. Your tech support has been timely and extremely useful. Wonderful job. Confirms why I chose Quicken. I have recommended Quicken to my investment advisor for all of their clients. Good service, smart service is why I am a loyal customer. Bravo to you!