Auto Categorize When Payee Changes Slightly

Every month I get interest payments in my bank account. The Payee always starts with "Bank Int" but it's followed by a series of numbers that changes each month. How do I set it up to assign the same category automatically?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The key here is to use a renaming rule to "normalize" the payee name, and then that payee name can match your payee in the memorized payee list to pick up the category.

Tools -> Renaming Rules

Here is an example for Interest that I use:

The bolded Interest is what the payee name will be changed to.

And then the memorized payee that goes with it.

(Note that it is locked).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • I'm running the Deluxe version of Quicken. I see no rule that says "If payee contains".... How do I make the "contains" rule available in the Deluxe version? I'm running Version R35.31 Build: 27.1.35.31 Windows 10 Home. Thanks.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running the Deluxe version of Quicken. I see no rule that says "If payee contains".... How do I make the "contains" rule available in the Deluxe version? I'm running Version R35.31 Build: 27.1.35.31 Windows 10 Home. Thanks.

Takes a little digging nowadays to get this set up right. Quicken programmers made a change that, IMHO, "does not compute".
    First, add a new rule
    Fill out the popup form:
       Change payee to: [Interest]
       Quicken will rename the downloaded payee [INT PMT]
    Click the little triangle to the left of the rule you just created to expand details. It'll show
       If Quicken name is       INT PMT
    Click on If Quicken name is to get a pulldown list.
    Select If payee contains
    Tab away or click anywhere else in the view to set the change.
    Optionally, click the green (+) icon if you need to add an additional "If ..." selection, as shown in the above example from @Chris_QPW