Export Transactions to Excel (or .CSV)

As a current user of Quicken for Windows, I run spending reports across all accounts and export them to Excel for ad hoc analysis. I can easily see the fields (date, account, check #, payee, category, memo, amount, etc.) that makeup my typical registers.

I'm contemplating switching to a Mac for my next computer and want to be sure Quicken for Mac can continue to support this desired activity. This is not entirely clear to me so any perspective would be most welcomed.

I'm fine if it will only export to a generic .CSV file as Excel can easily open such. Aside from the actual exporting mechanics does QAMC allow for the exporting of this information like the Windows counterpart?

Thanks!

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, in QMac, you can export any register or group register to a CSV file. The export will show whichever columns you have visible in the register at that time, sorted in the same order as the register. Any filters set in the register will be honored. You can choose to export all transactions, or only selected or unselected transactions. You can choose to include scheduled transactions, or not.

Split lines of the register transactions are shown as separate rows in the exported file with an "S" in a column labeled "Split". One small oddity of this is that if the split line and the top level of the transaction both have an entry in the Memo field, only the split line's memo field is exported. If the top level memo field or split line memo field is blank, then the other is exported for that line.

Similarly, reports in QMac can also be exported to CSV. There are few older report that contain graphical information and this info does not export.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Ronin
    Ronin Member ✭✭
    Thank you RickO for your speedy and detailed answer. In my current usage of Quicken for Windows, I don't think I've ever exported from a register directly. Rather, I've used and modified pre-made reports such as Spending or Transactions, etc. and then exported those reports to Excel/.CSV.

To be clear, are you saying QMAC reports can also export this data across my hand-picked accounts in one fell swoop and then export to a .CSV? With the reports, are there the same nuances with split lines like you described with the register export approach?

Thank you kindly!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, you can export reports, and yes, you can specify which columns to include or omit. You can specify any or all accounts, categories, tags, Payees, over any date range. There is no issue with split lines in an exported report, as each split line in a separate line in the report. (You don't see main transactions with their underlying split lines as you do when exporting a register.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ronin
    Ronin Member ✭✭
    Awesome! Thanks jacobs for sharing this. I'm feeling better about QMAC serving my needs should I end up making the switch.
  • Ross P.
    Ross P. Member
    I just bought Quicken Starter for Canada on my MS10 machine. How do I download all transactions (with Categories) to Excel (going through .CVS is fine)
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2021
    Ross P. said:
    I just bought Quicken Starter for Canada on my MS10 machine. How do I download all transactions (with Categories) to Excel (going through .CVS is fine)
    Click on the All Transactions group register at the top of the sidebar. Then click menu File > Export > Register Transactions to CSV File...   If the Categories column is visible in the All Transactions register, it will be exported. If it is not visible, click menu View > Columns to make it visible.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • I was a fool who did buy a MacPro and Quicken. (I regret it.). Now I have to send my accountant my data so she can do my 2020 Tax Return. She needs a CVS file. Please. Can you tell me in very simple terms how to accomplish this?
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Linda Villareal...

In Quicken Mac, this is simple.

In the sidebar on the left, select All Transactions.

From the All Transactions register, select a date range.  Since you're working on your 2020 tax return, select Last Year.

Then FILE, Export, Register Transactions to CSV file.

When the Export Options screen is visible, select Export: All visible transactions and uncheck All Scheduled Transactions.  Select NEXT and Quicken will prompt you where you want the file sent to.  I usually send this to the Mac Desktop instead of the default Documents folder. 

Additionally, you can send your accountant a Tax Schedule report for 2020.  This will create a report with taxable items that you have assigned a tax line form to the category.  This will give them just the applicable tax items instead of every transaction from last year.  

From the Reports tab, select Tax Forms and then Tax Schedule.  Edit the report after it is displayed to show Last Year.  Then select Export, Export to CSV file.  Select the file location where you want the report to be saved.  
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Linda Villarreal You can also create a category report (summary) or transaction report (every transaction), for the time period you want, and export that to a .csv file. This could possibly be more useful to an accountant than the register export. 

klk said:
    I would like to export my checking and savings account totals to an external Excel file. I have Quicken Premier. I'm not seeing a "File > Export > Register Transactions to CSV file..." or any other means of exporting to Excel anywhere. This is a feature that's specifically listed on the Quicken website as a special feature of the Premier version. What am I missing? Thank you!
    Assuming you're using Quicken Mac, this functionality exists whether you are using Deluxe or Premier (there's no difference in the features between these subscription levels). What are you missing? I'm not sure! "File > Export > Register Transactions to CSV file..." means you pull down the File menu to select Export, and then Register Transactions to CSV file on the pop-up menu...

This will export the current register, so select whether you want one account, an account group (like Banking) or All Transactions before you export. You also have a choice to export all visible transactions, or just transaction you have selected. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.