Importing TurboTax Files into Tax Planner

I'm trying to import TurboTax data into the Quicken Tax Planner. I did it successfully a couple of times, but then it stopped working. Quicken tells me the file was imported, but the data doesn't show up in the Tax Planner. I've tried importing the data into several scenarios, but it's not working at all. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @TheBobster

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Support. I apologize you are having difficulties importing your data. Based on extensive digging and research I can confirm that importing turbo tax files into Quicken Tax Planner is no longer available. 

For more information about the different importing aspects of Turbo Tax into Quicken please visit the link below. 

https://help.quicken.com/pages/diffpagesbyversion.action?pageId=3216730&selectedPageVersions=1&selectedPageVersions=2

Again I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • TheBobster
    TheBobster Member ✭✭
    This makes no sense. The article you reference describes how to import TurboTax data, and the bullet point you reference applies to just one piece of the data -- state estimated tax. If it were no longer possible to import any TurboTax data, why is the TurboTax file import command still in Quicken?
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @TheBobster

Thank you for your response. I have misspoken, since you are correct the one aspect I focused on was the state tax. The Tax Planner is still supported for the current and prior year. Pardon the added confusion. I would recommend un/reinstalling Quicken and attempting to import the.TAX file again. If the issue is still persisting please contact Quicken Support. To contact Quicken Support click here

https://www.quicken.com/support/tax-years-are-supported-tax-planner

Please let us know how it goes and any additional questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma 
  • TheBobster
    TheBobster Member ✭✭
    I feel like I'm going crazy here. I'm trying to import my 2020 TurboTax data into Quicken Tax Planner for 2021. Quicken says my import is successful, but when I open Tax Planner, the fields are all zero. Quicken tech support is trying to tell me it's not possible, yet the option to import the data is right there in Tax Planner. Anyone know what's going on? Here are the directions, but they aren't working for me.

If you have your previous year’s TurboTax data file, you should import it into Quicken before you begin using the Tax Planner. Importing TurboTax data gives you a head start in developing your tax estimate and can save you a lot of data entry time.

Choose File menu > File Import > TurboTax File.
    Select the TurboTax data file you want to import.
    Click OK.
    Choose the appropriate option:
    Click Continue if this is the correct TurboTax file.
    Click Change File if you want to select a different TurboTax file.
    If your TurboTax data file contains the filing status Married - Filing Joint, Quicken displays a dialog showing that the taxpayer on federal Form 1040 in TurboTax is the same person as Self in Quicken. (You can’t switch the names for Self and Spouse in this dialog.) Click OK.
    Click OK to close the confirmation message that Quicken displays when the TurboTax import is complete.
    After importing the TurboTax information, view the TurboTax source information in the Tax Planner and update it where necessary.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Its not just you.  I never had any success IMPORTING my TurboTax file into Quicken.  Same issue.  The Tax Planner entries never populated with any TurboTax data.  

For that matter, I never had much success EXPORTING my Quicken Tax Planner data into TurboTax either. There was always so much clean up, I just wound up manually entering everything into TurboTax and using the Tax Planner with my own Quicken data as a guide/estimate/summary.  

Since the Quicken data and Tax Planner itself aren't true tax documents, all income and expense forms mailed to you should be used for your actual TurboTax entries.  W2's, 1099's, Dividend and Capital Gain tax forms and mortgage interest statements should all be used.  Not Quicken calculations.  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I feel like I'm going crazy here. I'm trying to import my 2020 TurboTax data into Quicken Tax Planner for 2021. Quicken says my import is successful, but when I open Tax Planner, the fields are all zero. Quicken tech support is trying to tell me it's not possible, yet the option to import the data is right there in Tax Planner. Anyone know what's going on? Here are the directions, but they aren't working for me.

If you have your previous year’s TurboTax data file, you should import it into Quicken before you begin using the Tax Planner. Importing TurboTax data gives you a head start in developing your tax estimate and can save you a lot of data entry time.

Choose File menu > File Import > TurboTax File.
    Select the TurboTax data file you want to import.
    Click OK.
    Choose the appropriate option:
    Click Continue if this is the correct TurboTax file.
    Click Change File if you want to select a different TurboTax file.
    If your TurboTax data file contains the filing status Married - Filing Joint, Quicken displays a dialog showing that the taxpayer on federal Form 1040 in TurboTax is the same person as Self in Quicken. (You can’t switch the names for Self and Spouse in this dialog.) Click OK.
    Click OK to close the confirmation message that Quicken displays when the TurboTax import is complete.
    After importing the TurboTax information, view the TurboTax source information in the Tax Planner and update it where necessary.
    Have you checked the Data Source in the Tax Planner?

For example:

• TheBobster
    TheBobster Member ✭✭
    Hello Sherlock. The TurboTax button remains grayed out after I import the TurboTax data.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Sorry for this too-simple question, but no one has explicitly asked and answered it in this thread.
    Does the TT data file you are importing end in .TAX2020? If it doesn't, that's your problem. If it does, ensure that the Windows user account running Quicken has permission to read that file; e.g., perhaps it was created by a different Windows user and access is quietly failing? Or if the TT file has a long name with spaces and punctuation, try renaming the file to something short and then importing.
    Just throwing out some guesses, because I can't cause the import to fail. It always works correctly for me.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Sherlock. The TurboTax button remains grayed out after I import the TurboTax data.
    The TurboTax button will remain greyed out for items that were not imported.  Otherwise, you should be able to choose the data source.
  • TheBobster
    TheBobster Member ✭✭
    That's weird because Quicken tells me I've successfully imported the file. I've tried importing it with the Tax Planner open and closed to see if that would make a difference.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    That's weird because Quicken tells me I've successfully imported the file. I've tried importing it with the Tax Planner open and closed to see if that would make a difference.
    Have you checked the items in the Tax Planner included in the TurboTax file you imported?
  • TheBobster
    TheBobster Member ✭✭
    The TurboTax option is grayed out, so I'm not seeing any of the items from the TurboTax file that Quicken told me was successfully imported. It's a tax2020 file.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The TurboTax option is grayed out, so I'm not seeing any of the items from the TurboTax file that Quicken told me was successfully imported. It's a tax2020 file.
    That is strange.  Again, I only find the TurboTax option grayed out for the tax items that were not included in the TurboTax file.  I suggest you create a test Quicken file to determine if the problem you're experiencing is specific to your original Quicken file.
  • TheBobster
    TheBobster Member ✭✭
    Thank you Sherlock. I'll try that.
  • TheBobster
    TheBobster Member ✭✭
    Following up on my question from last fall, I still am unable to import a TurboTax file into Quicken Tax Planner. Quicken says my import is successful, but QTP doesn't seem to recognize it. In the "Projected" scenario in the "Details" tab, there's a button to select TurboTax, but it's grayed out. Other than that, I don't see references to TurboTax anywhere else in QTP. I'm wondering if I need to have QTP closed during the import, or maybe I need to have the Projected scenario or another scenario open and unused (no manual entries) before the import. Since Quicken tells me I've successfully imported the TurboTax file, I feel like it must be there somewhere and I'm just not seeing it or not clicking the right links to access it. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
This discussion has been closed.