How do I make Quicken detect my scanner?

I bought a brand new ScanSnap scanner specifically to use with Quicken. It is properly installed and shows up in my settings. I can use it with other programs. Quicken does not detect it though.

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @KellyO

I did some research and have a followup question - do you know if your ScanSnap scanner supports TWAIN? 

If it doesn't (and my understanding is that Fujitsu devices do not support Twain) I am afraid that is why  you are having the problem connecting.  If this is the case - I suggest that you contact Quicken Support to followup with them before giving up - here's the LINK.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Sherlock said:
    I suggest you select File > Validate and Repair..., check Reset all Quicken printer settings, and select OK.
    KellyO said:
    Sherlock - I followed all of your instructions. Scanner still not detected.
    I think this is doomed to fail. Even if a scanner is part of an all-in-one printer (which this one isn't), it is still considered a separate "imaging device" and not a "printer" in Windows.
    That said, I'm sorry I don't know how to make Quicken see the scanner. Does it look OK in Windows Device Manager?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @KellyO

Are you in a transaction when you try to add a scanned document/item?  Do you get any feedback from Quicken when you select "Account Attachments" > "Add Attachment" > "Add from Scanner" that looks like this:

Any additional information will help us to help you.

Frankx 

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you select File > Validate and Repair..., check Reset all Quicken printer settings, and select OK.

If the issue persists, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken 
  • KellyO
    KellyO Member
    Frankx - that is exactly what I am doing. My new scanner does not show up on the list. It is not detected by Quicken.
  • KellyO
    KellyO Member
    Sherlock - I tried your suggestion but it did not work. Will try the uninstall approach.
  • KellyO
    KellyO Member
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    KellyO said:
    Then, I suggest you scan the documents outside of Quicken and use Add file... instead of Add from scanner....
  • KellyO
    KellyO Member
    thank you. That is what I have been doing. Bought a new scanner to make my life easier....
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    KellyO said:
    thank you. That is what I have been doing. Bought a new scanner to make my life easier....
    Instead of attaching documents to transactions or registers in our Quicken file, we prefer to preserve our documents in a file system where they're more easily accessible and manageable.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @KellyO

I did some research and have a followup question - do you know if your ScanSnap scanner supports TWAIN? 

If it doesn't (and my understanding is that Fujitsu devices do not support Twain) I am afraid that is why  you are having the problem connecting.  If this is the case - I suggest that you contact Quicken Support to followup with them before giving up - here's the LINK.

Frankx

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Frankx said:
    Hi again @KellyO

Frankx
    @Frankx Quicken should also work with WIA compliant scanners.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Sherlock said:
    KellyO said:
    I think this is doomed to fail. Even if a scanner is part of an all-in-one printer (which this one isn't), it is still considered a separate "imaging device" and not a "printer" in Windows.
    That said, I'm sorry I don't know how to make Quicken see the scanner. Does it look OK in Windows Device Manager?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• KellyO
    KellyO Member
    Thanks everyone for the help. I got some email support from Fujitsu and they confirmed it is not TWAIN and will not work with Quicken. I too was sceptical, but it was recommended on a list of scanners to work with Quicken. That puts the whole list into question now. I am returning it tomorrow. I am disappointed but super thankful for this group!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Quicken 2013.  I looked at my program and it has a scanner button. Some of the posts above make it sound like Quicken doesn't scan at all?  I googled and found this article  https://smallbusiness.chron.com/scan-receipts-laptop-28639.html

I right clicked on a transaction in my register and choose Attachments and it gave me a dialog box with a scanner button.  I clicked it and my printer/scanner showed up 3x.  Am I missing something in this thread?  Now that I know about scanning I may start using it for my husband's business receipts before they fade away!  I learn something everyday reading the forums.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.