R35.31 New Data file can't import data

I upgraded to Quicken Premier R35.31 today. During the upgrade a new data file was created that had absolutely nothing in it, no history, no accounts, no nothing. After several tries, I was able to open up my old data file. The old data file doesn't seem to have any of the new dashboards or anything. So, I wanted to try to start working with the new data file.
I entered in all of my transactions, and did a backup of the old data file. I then went to export the old data file to a .qxf format.
I then opened the new, blank data file and tried to import the qxf file that I named. I get an error message that says "Enter a valid file name." I can't do anything else from there. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this?
Tagged:

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure you selected .QXF both times?  There is also a .QFX (F in the middle) and it will not work with the .QXF (X in the middle) import process.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• evan.berner
    evan.berner Member ✭✭
    Yes, I absolutely used .QXF both times
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Something is seriously wrong with your QWin. A Quicken update should never create a new data file, and your existing production file should have opened without any problem. Fooling around with QXF files is putting a band-aid on your bleeding carotid. Perhaps try uninstalling and reinstalling R35.31.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Please follow this procedure, using a Windows User Account with full Administrator privileges to remove all parts of Quicken software and reinstall it:
    After reinstallation is complete restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
  • evan.berner
    evan.berner Member ✭✭
    It seems like a lot of the issues stem from the data files being in a "Dropbox" folder. I was also having issues with backing up the file and the system wouldn't allow me to do it. Once I moved the data file from the dropbox folder to a local folder on my system I was able to do an export/import and back up.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Never open your data file or backup file directly from Dropbox.  Always move the file to your desktop computer, then open it, to prevent file damage.
    Can I share my Quicken file between multiple computers using Dropbox?

How do I backup my Quicken file using Dropbox on Windows?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.