Where is the "Category Detail Report" in Quicken Mac Starter 6.3.3?

Options
GeoCalifornian
GeoCalifornian Member ✭✭
edited September 2021 in Reports (Mac)
I cannot create a "Category Detail Report" like I used to in Quicken for Mac 2007. My "Category Detail Report" used to include 4 important lines at the end of the Report: Total Expenses; Total Income/Expenses; Balance Forward; Net Inflows/Outflows. HELP!

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    A Transactions by Category report will be similar in Quicken Mac. Total Income will appear at the top, followed by detail for your income categories; Total Expense will come next, followed by your expense category details. The Total or net income is at the bottom. There is no balance forward on an income/expense report because there is no real "balance" at the beginning or end. (A Net Worth report will give you the value of each account as of whatever date you set, and a total net worth, or account balance, at the bottom.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • GeoCalifornian
    Options
    > @jacobs said:
    > A Transactions by Category report will be similar in Quicken Mac. Total Income will appear at the top, followed by detail for your income categories; Total Expense will come next, followed by your expense category details. The Total or net income is at the bottom. There is no balance forward on an income/expense report because there is no real "balance" at the beginning or end. (A Net Worth report will give you the value of each account as of whatever date you set, and a total net worth, or account balance, at the bottom.)

Thank you @jacobs, I wish that a [printout] of my Category Detail Report in the new Quicken Starter 6.3.3 looked like the detailed [printout] on my Quicken for Mac 2007; everything was on one Report! ... I will try to attach an image of my last page, from Quicken for Mac 2007 to this response...
  • jacobs
    Options
    Most of what you want from a category report in Quicken 2007 is present in the current Quicken Mac report, except the account balance information. Typically, a transaction report includes multiple categories, and getting an account balance for various accounts is what the Net Worth report does.

As you are discovering, there are many differences between Quicken 2007 and modern Quicken Mac. Some are improvements. Some are regressions. And some are... just different. It's a bit of an adjustment, and the knee jerk reaction to many changes is "I just want it the way it was!" -- and I say that because I went through that phase when I switched from Quicken 2007. The best thing you can do is try not to hang onto the way things were, and adapt/retrain your mind to the way things are. Some things may require and extra step, or an extra piece of paper, but try to be satisfied as long as you can get the information you need from Quicken.

I'm sitting here amused because I used Quicken 2007 and its predecessors for more than two decades, and I never knew you could get account balances and income/expenses on one report before right now! I always used Transaction Detail reports, and never once tried Category Detail until just now! It never ceases to amaze me how we all fine ways to use Quicken differently. ;)  
  • GeoCalifornian
    Options
    Thank you again...
    The Category Detail Report which I use in order to explain my fiscal year to my Board is now going to be burdensome on Quicken Starter 6.3.3. ... The same Report in Quicken for Mac 2007 is clean and tight.

Whereas before I only needed a Balance Sheet and a Category Detail Report to show [everything] to my Board. Now with Quicken's regression software I will need several reports to give what a Category Detail Report used to give me. I could walk my Board through my Category Detail Report which showed everything, at-a-glance! No explanations were needed because it was self-explanatory.

Ironically, the old-school Report of Quicken 2007 has an industry standard appearance to it. It looks like a real accounting sheet.

I do appreciate your historical perspective on Quicken, but I fear I may need a pricier Quicken subscription to achieve what I used to get.
  • jacobs
    Options
    @GeoCalifornian. If you previously needed a Category Detail Report and a Balance Sheet, why would that be different now? The Transaction report is your income/expense report, and the Net Worth report is your balance sheet report. Still two reports. No information missing compared to your previous reports. I've used Quicken as treasurer of a national organization to present those reports to a board and membership.

In any case, purchasing a higher level Quicken subscription won't give you any more report features. The reports are the same in Starter, Deluxe and Premier.
  • GeoCalifornian
    Options
    I understand that the new "Net Worth" report is the old "Balance Sheet" report. This is not the problem.

The reason for my original question is that [all] my required information is missing from the new Quicken Basic.

When I go to print out a new Category report or new Transaction report on the Quicken Basic, neither report has what I originally asked for in my single Category Detail Report, as seen from my previous attached image.

/Thanks again...
This discussion has been closed.