I am trying to build a Quicken file using monthly QIF files from my bank.

Options
Quicken missed some months of syncing. I am trying to build a Quicken file using monthly QIF files from my bank. I got my 1931 checking account to total but when I start adding to my 0944 account, 1931 changes. I assume it's because Online Transfers. I need some help. I had several Quicken support calls but they are not familiar enough with their product to help me. I am willing to get some professional assistance on this.

Who can help me or where do I go for help? Greg

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @GHerbert,

Yes, it makes sense that when you make transfers between accounts, even if you've gotten one account to balance, when you add a new account to your Quicken datafile, if that has had transfers with the account you just balanced, you are going to account for those transfers only once, rather than twice.  So, you've got some work to do.  And, yes - the folks with Quicken Support are not able to help with these types of "hands-on" matters for a few different reasons.

For assistance, I would suggest that you talk to your friends and relatives to see if they might be using Quicken, since when you start out, having someone who has used Quicken is a great help.  If you need more sophisticated assistance, you might check with a local CPA, or tax preparer for help.

The folks who post here are also a good resource for some general problems and certainly for focused specific issues, but not so much for broad hands-on assistance.  There are some pretty good videos available through the Quicken application (click on the "Tips and Tutorials tab from the Quicken Home Page) and there are also some YouTube videos that will likely be helpful.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the Q Community!

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @GHerbert,

Yes, it makes sense that when you make transfers between accounts, even if you've gotten one account to balance, when you add a new account to your Quicken datafile, if that has had transfers with the account you just balanced, you are going to account for those transfers only once, rather than twice.  So, you've got some work to do.  And, yes - the folks with Quicken Support are not able to help with these types of "hands-on" matters for a few different reasons.

For assistance, I would suggest that you talk to your friends and relatives to see if they might be using Quicken, since when you start out, having someone who has used Quicken is a great help.  If you need more sophisticated assistance, you might check with a local CPA, or tax preparer for help.

The folks who post here are also a good resource for some general problems and certainly for focused specific issues, but not so much for broad hands-on assistance.  There are some pretty good videos available through the Quicken application (click on the "Tips and Tutorials tab from the Quicken Home Page) and there are also some YouTube videos that will likely be helpful.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the Q Community!

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• GHebert
    GHebert Member ✭✭
    Options
    Frank. Thanks/ What I did was copy my Quicken file to a new file, using transfer. I deleted all the account data except for 1931 and watched it change. I added a month to 0944 and watched 1931 change back down toward the correct amount. I went over to 1931 and found most of the transfers missing. So, deleted the month in 1931, put it back using the QIF, and the totals added up. So, I can strip all the data and rebuild from my QIF's. I'll get the correct totals. But, I suspect Quicken wants to link the Online Transfers to make sure it doesn't double count money. I have to find out if there is a tool to connect the Online Transfers between the accounts. I know it exists inside Quicken because it asks when importing whether they are the same transactions. Of course, it gives very little information and assumes you just know, which of course, we don't. I will look to see if there is a tool.

Thanks again.

Greg
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @GHebert See my comments on this thread about the same subject.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20202167
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.