Coastal Credit Union (coastal24.com) CC-601 as of 2021_Sep_07

Coastal Credit Union is throwing a CC-601 error as of 2021_Sep_07. I waited 24 hours and still was doing so, hence, I deactivated online and tried to add it. Now it won't connect at all. Just reporting here, and am "on-hold" with Coastal Credit Union, hoping to get support.

Comments

• motjebben
    motjebben Member ✭✭
    Coastal confirmed they updated their login/authentication and this is a "known issue" that they are working on. I'll try again later.
  • mike0164
    mike0164 Member ✭✭
    I'm also having an issue with Coastal. Tried calling them, but eventually got disconnected while waiting on hold. Contacted Quicken, and they confirmed this was a known issue; I did submit a problem report to Quicken with the help of their agent. Awaiting the two to figure out how to fix the problem with the Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) Coastal implemented.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-cc-601

I suggest you contact Quicken Support: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options
  • mike0164
    mike0164 Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, I appreciate you trying to help, but this is a known issue that Quicken and Coastal need to work on together, and I have been in contact with Quicken support (as mentioned before); unfortunately, I did not think fast enough to grab my own ticket number when I sent them my log files. Quicken support admitted it was a known issue with a master bug in their support database, but they were unable to give that number/detail to me.

Coastal just implemented a new MFA with all the different aggregator systems, including Quicken's, and it is not being passed to Quicken in a way they currently expect.

I'm hoping Quicken support will promote this thread to their "Known Problems" section. Hence why I added my comments.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    mike0164 said:
    Sherlock, I appreciate you trying to help, but this is a known issue that Quicken and Coastal need to work on together, and I have been in contact with Quicken support (as mentioned before); unfortunately, I did not think fast enough to grab my own ticket number when I sent them my log files. Quicken support admitted it was a known issue with a master bug in their support database, but they were unable to give that number/detail to me.

Coastal just implemented a new MFA with all the different aggregator systems, including Quicken's, and it is not being passed to Quicken in a way they currently expect.

I'm hoping Quicken support will promote this thread to their "Known Problems" section. Hence why I added my comments.
    @mike0164:  I'm glad you have been in contact with Quicken Support but I was not responding to your post.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: Coastal Federal Credit Union - CC- 501/101
  • rjlawlerjr
    rjlawlerjr Member ✭✭
    FWIW, the multi-factor authentication that was to be added to the aggregator systems was scheduled for June 17th, 2021. Funny that we are having problems (me too) starting September 7th. I haven't been able to have Quicken connect to my accounts at Coastal since then. Also, I can no longer simply login to Coastal's web app without also supplying a text code sent to my cell phone. Now that is new behavior that I am asking Coastal to change. Annoying.
  • AndrewFuqua
    AndrewFuqua Member ✭✭
    same issue with me.
  • mike0164
    mike0164 Member ✭✭
    > @rjlawlerjr said:
    > FWIW, the multi-factor authentication that was to be added to the aggregator systems was scheduled for June 17th, 2021. Funny that we are having problems (me too) starting September 7th. I haven't been able to have Quicken connect to my accounts at Coastal since then. Also, I can no longer simply login to Coastal's web app without also supplying a text code sent to my cell phone. Now that is new behavior that I am asking Coastal to change. Annoying.

According to the email I received from Coastal CU on September 3, they said the following:
    > ... On September 7th, we will expand MFA to additional aggregators. The next time you connect to Coastal via a service that uses an aggregator, you will be asked to complete a security challenge in order to proceed.... You won’t be challenged every time you use an aggregator, but you may be challenged again in the future, as challenges are based on complex rules and algorithms using device connection history.

Funny how, like you, every time I now log into the web site directly, I have to provide a security challenge. UGH! From what I can tell, Coastal dropped the ball on testing their new implementation, and Quicken is being caught in the middle. I did try to contact Coastal, I got the "hot potato" passing from agent to agent, until such time I was disconnected; no one wanted to take ownership of the problem from their point of view.

Let's hope the Quicken staff can better connect with the Coastal people to resolve this in a timely basis. Per the Known Problem that Sherlock referenced above, perhaps they already are working on this issue (I am not sure if the CC-501/101 issue is related to this CC-601 error). I personally will follow that link as well as this one.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    mike0164 said:
    > @rjlawlerjr said:
    > FWIW, the multi-factor authentication that was to be added to the aggregator systems was scheduled for June 17th, 2021. Funny that we are having problems (me too) starting September 7th. I haven't been able to have Quicken connect to my accounts at Coastal since then. Also, I can no longer simply login to Coastal's web app without also supplying a text code sent to my cell phone. Now that is new behavior that I am asking Coastal to change. Annoying.

According to the email I received from Coastal CU on September 3, they said the following:
    > ... On September 7th, we will expand MFA to additional aggregators. The next time you connect to Coastal via a service that uses an aggregator, you will be asked to complete a security challenge in order to proceed.... You won’t be challenged every time you use an aggregator, but you may be challenged again in the future, as challenges are based on complex rules and algorithms using device connection history.

Funny how, like you, every time I now log into the web site directly, I have to provide a security challenge. UGH! From what I can tell, Coastal dropped the ball on testing their new implementation, and Quicken is being caught in the middle. I did try to contact Coastal, I got the "hot potato" passing from agent to agent, until such time I was disconnected; no one wanted to take ownership of the problem from their point of view.

Let's hope the Quicken staff can better connect with the Coastal people to resolve this in a timely basis. Per the Known Problem that Sherlock referenced above, perhaps they already are working on this issue (I am not sure if the CC-501/101 issue is related to this CC-601 error). I personally will follow that link as well as this one.
    Just to be clear, it isn't Quicken staff that is working the issue.  Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Web Connect connection method instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
  • rjlawlerjr
    rjlawlerjr Member ✭✭
    I received no such notice from Coastal re: a 9/7 implementation date. Instead, here is the note that I received on 6/16/2021.

However, because of the recent uptick of more than $1 million in fraudulent transactions using stolen credentials within these aggregator services, Coastal will soon turn on MFA for aggregators, beginning June 17th. This will affect anyone using services like Quicken, Mint, TurboTax, PayPal, etc., as well as other credit unions or banks that might connect to your Coastal account.

Beginning June 17th, the next time you connect to Coastal via a service that uses an aggregator, you will be asked to complete a security challenge in order to proceed. You’re already familiar with this process, which may include authentication via one-time confirmation code, knowledge-based identity challenge questions or user-defined challenge questions that you’ve previously set up. You won’t be challenged every time you use an aggregator, but you may be challenged again in the future, as challenges are based on complex rules and algorithms using device connection history.

So things had been working great for me until this 9/7 change. Funny thing is that the 2 different Coastal reps that I spoke with told me that nothing had changed on their end, The fact that my web logins now require a code sent to my cell phone was due to me either not entering my password correctly (one time), or not answer a security challenge question correctly (one time). I agree challenging us to prove our identities every now and again is not a bad thing, but every single login, not acceptable. Something is clearly wrong.

My hunch is that this challenge is impacting the Quicken connections. Wondering why Coastal and Quicken support can't prove me wrong. Perhaps it is time for me to consider Web Connect instead. Maybe that'll allow me to use Quicken again.

Good luck all!
  • agh19
    agh19 Member ✭✭
    Having the same problem, submitted Quicken ticket this morning with the help of Quicken chat agent Andrea, who noted that there was an alert on the issue. I had been on-line with Coastal support yesterday, and complained that this Quicken issue happened the first day I was presented with MFA when logging into coastal24.com (9/7/2021). The Coastal agent told me that the MFA had gone live August 18, but 9/7 was the first day I was presented with it, and I log in a lot. She also told me that I did not have the option to turn off MFA, and that she was not aware of Quicken users complaining. Wish there was a way to track the issue within Quicken tech support, as this is really inconvenient.
  • DBR
    DBR Member
    Having same issues as documented by others.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,

We are currently experiencing issues with Coastal Credit Union/Coastal Federal Credit Union. We're currently looking into it but currently, we do not have an ETA. If you would like to follow the issue you can do so by clicking the ribbon to the right of the title. Any updates will be posted there as well. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7898951/coastal-federal-credit-union-cc-501-101

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • +1 ... very frustrating that the 2 companies can't get this sorted out quickly ... FWIW, Mint seems to be working fine with CFCU
  • I received a response from Coastal that the issue has been fixed as of today per their IT department.
  • mike0164
    mike0164 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    > @geekymerrymermaid said:
    > I received a response from Coastal that the issue has been fixed as of today per their IT department.

Thank you for the update. I tried it this evening. Although I did have to deactivate and reactivate my Checking Account (I think it got hosed due to the initial issues), I was able to reconnect my accounts. However, I was not asked for any MFA verification, so I wonder if Coastal simply turned off MFA until they could implement it correctly for the aggregators such as Quicken, etc. Fingers crossed this does not bite us again.

Update 9/14/2021: Downloading still is working as expected this morning, yet no MFA was requested. Logged onto the Coastal website, and again no MFA was requested. I'm suspecting they disabled it for now, but I have not contacted them to confirm.
  • motjebben
    motjebben Member ✭✭
    Working for me now, too, thanks! I also did have to deactivate and reactivate.
This discussion has been closed.