How do I edit a newly created category?

EG; renaming, changing from personal to business exp., adding or changing a tax line.

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    New or old, editing is in the same place:  the Category List.  Get there via Tools > Category List, then right-click the category of concern and click Edit from the context menu.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• fjphilli2
    fjphilli2 Member ✭✭
    Thank you. My issue was not being able to see the tiny "action" button (size, plus not full screen view), and, apparently, I cannot control if it falls under personal or business (it is automatic based on the tax line item)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    ONLY category tax lines that use IRS Schedules C, D & F tax lines can be used to define "business" in Q
    Your name of the account doesn't/can't do that.
    Any category with NO tax line is personal.
    SO, you have full control over "business or personal" simply by your actions re: the tax lines.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For an income or expense category to show up under Business you have to assign it a Schedule C tax line number. Go into Edit Category and assign it one.  
    If you need to see a schedule C, here's the blank form….

You can either assign the tax line number to an existing category or you might want to set up a new category for it to keep the existing one under personal if you have the same expense for both personal and business.

To check the tax line assignment open the Category list by either clicking on the Category Icon or go to Tools-Category List or Ctrl+Shift+C.  Then select the category and right click on it to Edit it.  Click on the Tax Reporting Tab and check the box for Tax related and pick a Schedule C: tax line item.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually @volvogirl Sched C, E & F are all "business". C is self-employed, E is Rental and F is farming.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sarah_Mic
    Sarah_Mic Member ✭✭
    I had this question as well, but what I need to do is change the entity to which it is under. Some new categories were created and they are under personal expenses instead of rental expenses. Now, I don't know how to move them. Advice?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read all the posts in this thread.  You need to edit the category and assign a tax Line to it.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.