Un-checked / Wrong categories show up in report

Options
nelaco
nelaco Member ✭✭✭
This just started happening about two weeks ago.  When I run a report, categories NOT checked show up.  If I checked said categories, save the report, then un-check them and save again, the categories go away.  This obviously is extremely worrisome since I can miss some of these wrong categories and then have a non-accurate report.  One thing I noticed is that at least once, it happened after I had created a NEW category. Why is this happening?
Tagged:

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I don't think anybody can definitely answer your question, but one thing that has been know to occur is for program updates to somehow affect saved reports, somehow "breaking" them.  Perhaps this is what you're seeing here.
    Sometimes customizing the report puts things to right, others have advised creating a new, correct, saved report using the latest update.
    It's frustrating and potentially dangerous when saved reports change "invisibly" like that but it does happen. 
  • nelaco
    nelaco Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok, good to know Tom.  I'll keep it in mind.  What a pain!  Appreciate your help.
  • Patti
    Patti Member ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Options
    This same thing has happened to me. Two reports out of ten that I've looked at have unchecked categories being displayed and checked categories are NOT being displayed. I noticed it a week ago. I did not notice if it's only happening when new categories are being created, but the two reports with these issues did NOT have any new categories being created. Tom's answer is not satisfactory for my purposes as something significant is happening and re-creating these reports is very time consuming. Report categories should not be disappearing and appearing randomly. This needs more investigation please. UPDATE: In fact, without starting from scratch I cannot update the report and have it properly show the selected categories and not show the rest. Big problem. Starting from scratch is a significant issue for the details of these reports--HELP PLEASE.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suspect this may be the same customization issue Quicken introduced in R34.24.

Basically, it appears Quicken is trying to determine if the saved customization is equivalent to the default and gets it wrong.  To work around the issue, we must apply a customization that Quicken does not interpret as being equivalent to the default.  Depending on the desired customization, this may mean creating a non-hidden dummy account, category, security, or tag that you explicitly exclude (uncheck).
  • Patti
    Patti Member ✭✭
    Options
    I saved the mis-behaving report (see my comment above) with a different name and the new report is correct. I also tried validating the file from the File menu, but that didn't work. Seems like by saving the report with another name it re-indexes everything and it fixed the issues. Whew!
  • nelaco
    nelaco Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Patti, fantastic news!!!!  I'll try the same.  Glad it was this simple (why didn't I think of this) :)  Tks for sharing the solution!
  • DebbieJK
    DebbieJK Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suspect this may be the same customization issue Quicken introduced in R34.24.
    >
    > Basically, it appears Quicken is trying to determine if the saved customization is equivalent to the default and gets it wrong.  To work around the issue, we must apply a customization that Quicken does not interpret as being equivalent to the default.  Depending on the desired customization, this may mean creating a non-hidden dummy account, category, security, or tag that you explicitly exclude (uncheck).

What? That's a little confusing. Would you happen to know if Quicken is still trying to fix this, because this is a problem I've actually had for years, and I'm really tired of wasting time changing the incorrect categories. I just want it to stop inserting anything if it's not going to be correct. Obviously I've never used the selection to Automatically Categorize.

**QUICKEN please note: It's a shame there are only month and day on the comments, so no idea if this is still a current issue (I searched by issue).

Thank you!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DebbieJK said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suspect this may be the same customization issue Quicken introduced in R34.24.
    >
    > Basically, it appears Quicken is trying to determine if the saved customization is equivalent to the default and gets it wrong.  To work around the issue, we must apply a customization that Quicken does not interpret as being equivalent to the default.  Depending on the desired customization, this may mean creating a non-hidden dummy account, category, security, or tag that you explicitly exclude (uncheck).

What? That's a little confusing. Would you happen to know if Quicken is still trying to fix this, because this is a problem I've actually had for years, and I'm really tired of wasting time changing the incorrect categories. I just want it to stop inserting anything if it's not going to be correct. Obviously I've never used the selection to Automatically Categorize.

**QUICKEN please note: It's a shame there are only month and day on the comments, so no idea if this is still a current issue (I searched by issue).

Thank you!
    If you've been having this issue for years, it is a different than the one introduce R34.24 release (June/July 2021).

Note:  In this forum, when the only the time is displayed, it is current day.  When only the day and month is displayed, it is the current year.  If you hover the mouse cursor over the time, month and day, or month and year, the full date and time should appear.
  • Patti
    Patti Member ✭✭
    Options
    So, the fix I described on September 20 is still working. This error was a NEW problem.

But now I've noticed that now a new account has been created which is NOT viewable. It is ACCT_9c2 and is labeled as a Bank. It shows up every time I generate a report in the New Items dialog box. I cannot delete it since it doesn't show up in the Account List, but it is showing as a "new" item whenever a report is generated in that new items dialog box. Basically, it's a non-existent account that I did not create that cannot be deleted from the Accounts List because it doesn't exist even though it shows up every time in the "new" items dialog box. Anyone else run into this?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Patti said:
    So, the fix I described on September 20 is still working. This error was a NEW problem.

But now I've noticed that now a new account has been created which is NOT viewable. It is ACCT_9c2 and is labeled as a Bank. It shows up every time I generate a report in the New Items dialog box. I cannot delete it since it doesn't show up in the Account List, but it is showing as a "new" item whenever a report is generated in that new items dialog box. Basically, it's a non-existent account that I did not create that cannot be deleted from the Accounts List because it doesn't exist even though it shows up every time in the "new" items dialog box. Anyone else run into this?
    If it is an old issue, it is not a NEW problem.

I suspect the ACCT_9c2 is a temporary account that Quicken created but neglected to delete.  To remove the account, I suggest you follow the Copy and Validate instructions in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows  Note: You will need to reestablish all Online Services.
  • Patti
    Patti Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sorry if my comment was confusing. I was trying to clarify that my issue with reports was a NEW issue since Debbie JK said her issue was a reoccurring OLD issue. As far as the phantom account, your suggestion to run the Validate file procedure worked--it is no longer showing up. Thank you.
  • EGrow
    EGrow Member
    Options
    I've got the same problem, which was fixed by the method noted in previous comments of adding the bogus category (which appears even through it's not selected), saving the report, deselecting the category, and re-saving. Date is 12/12/2021 and I've installed all updates. Would be great to fix this.
This discussion has been closed.