Unable to update to newer versions

For the past several weeks I have been unable to update to newer versions. Both when I am prompted at start-up and when i try to update manually. I get the following error message: "The process cannot access file MigrationTool.exe because it is being used by another process."

I called help some months ago for assistance. They had me delete and reinstall Quicken. That worked to get latest version but I am hoping there is a better solution.

Best Answer

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Phil_44 said:
    ... I get the following error message: "The process cannot access file MigrationTool.exe because it is being used by another process."
    There were identical posts reported about this in Jun-Jul (see examples here) where many were addressed by using the Mondo patch process.  I also noticed this in the release notes:

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Phil_44   
    Sometimes Antivirus programs or Windows defender cause this error.  Turn them off temporarily and see if that helps.  Alternatively try updating using the Quicken Mondo patch (again turn of your AV first) from here.  Let us know if that helps please.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why EXACTLY, are you unable to update?  What happens? What error messages or codes?
    And, when you do HELP, About Quicken ... what shows are you current BUILD and your "Membership Valid Thru" date?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Phil_44 said:
    ... I get the following error message: "The process cannot access file MigrationTool.exe because it is being used by another process."
    There were identical posts reported about this in Jun-Jul (see examples here) where many were addressed by using the Mondo patch process.  I also noticed this in the release notes:

• Phil_44
    Phil_44 Member
    To answer some of your questions I was attempting to update from R34.24 to R35.31. My subscription is good through summer 2022. I ran one step update. I do not have Norton antivirus but I did turn off my virus software. I was still unable to update as I got the same error message. However, I was able to update to current version by using the Mondo patch process. Thank you to all who responded.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also new updates are put out as staged releases.  Not everyone gets it at the beginning.   

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.