restoring a backup failed

JayH6
JayH6 Member ✭✭
I have updated Quicken to the latest version on both my old and new, laptop, Windows 10 Home computers.
I have backed up my file on my old computer successfully.
When I transfer the memory stick to my new laptop and select "Restore a backup file..." from Quicken's "File" menu I get the message "Could not restore the file."
I then tried Quicken's file export (.QXF) by saving it to my memory stick and then plugging it into the usb port on my new laptop but that too failed to upload my data.
I don't think this should be so hard! It seems as though I am following the directions?
Thanks for your help.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Hi @Jay E Holderer

I am not certain that this will work for you, but I would suggest that you add one step to the process you are using to move the file from your old computer to the new one. 

When you transfer the memory stick to the new laptop - you should change the name of the backup file to remove the "-backup" from the filename.  So the filename extension should be just ".QDF"

Once you do that you should simply double-click on that file to start Quicken on the laptop (rather than using "Restore a backup file").

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    After saving the backup file to USB on the old computer, be sure to use the "Safely remove hardware ..." function of Windows BEFORE you unplug the storage device. Failing to do so may result in an incomplete save.
    When restoring your file on the new computer, please make sure you direct the restored file to your \Documents\Quicken folder. Going to other locations may cause Windows to reject the file, especially if Windows Defender is turned on
  • JayH6
    JayH6 Member ✭✭
    Frankx, When I open up my usb drive and right click on the backup file I want I am able to change the files name but not the name of the file type. I can't do this if I select properties either but the work "backup" is there.
  • JayH6
    JayH6 Member ✭✭
    UKR, When I have my "Restore Quicken File" window open I do not see a way for me to direct it.
  • JayH6
    JayH6 Member ✭✭
    Frankx, It should be...the word "backup" is there.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Hi @Jay E Holderer,

It will give you a warning message but you should say "Yes" (push the Yes button on the pop-up) because you do want to change it.  However, it will not change and data on the file and when you click on it, Quicken will recognize it as a regular old .QDF file.

If it absolutely doesn't work on the USB drive simply move the file from the USB drive to your hard drive and make the name change there, then move it back to the thumb drive.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• JayH6
    JayH6 Member ✭✭
    Frankx, When I drag my file to my desktop and right click on the backup file I can change the files name but, same as before, not the name of the file type. I can't do this if I select properties either.
  • JayH6
    JayH6 Member ✭✭
    I also tried to install/open the file from my desktop but it failed.
  • JayH6
    JayH6 Member ✭✭
    The dialog box reads, Could not open the file C:\Users\ ect, Documents\Quicken\My Data.QDF. The word "Backup" is not there to be dealt with.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can change the files name but, same as before, not the name of the file type. I can't do this if I select properties either.
    I wonder whether Windows is getting in your way here. If extensions (file types) are hidden, you can't change them. Try clearing this option in File Explorer Options if it is currently checked.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• JayH6
    JayH6 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I did the above and the file that was saved to my desktop ended with "backup". I deleted that and now ends....Quicken Data.QDF But it still would not open. It read to validate it and restart windows. Thanks for highlighting your work though.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Jay E Holderer

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

The Described behavior can be caused by multiple things, as such, we would recommend contacting Quicken Support directly for the best assistance. I will leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

This discussion has been closed.