Quicken 2002 (I know) and Question about Categories and Assigned Tax Codes

gorsetr
gorsetr Member ✭✭
Good afternoon -

I have a very old version of Quicken 2002 - and this summer my XP computer crashed. I have the back-ups of my 2019 taxes done and printed and a back-up of the last save I did.

I already know that I have to use the newest version of Quicken and start over. It is what it is.

Does anyone know how to "find" on the hard drive the link in Quicken 2002 to the tax categories? I do have the data....on the computer and can "see" it...

Any computer techies that can help me pull them out?

Many thanks!!

Peggy

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    You should not need to upgrade to the newest version of Quicken or start over.  You may continue to use your Quicken data set with Quicken 2002, or upgrade to the free Quicken 2004 or the free Quicken 2013.  The Quicken 2004 and Quicken 2013 installation programs are available at: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken and the patch files, if needed, are available at: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

• gorsetr
    gorsetr Member ✭✭
    Thank you - so then I can just use my last back up and import it when I get free Quicken 2004 or 2013? Wow. I never expected to hear that news. Thank you.
  • gorsetr
    gorsetr Member ✭✭
    So if I understand the instructions correctly. On my Windows 7 PC, I can install Quicken 2004 following the instructions (my version is for small business will that matter?) and then I have to upgrade to Quicken 2013. Will changing to those versions change the type of Quicken file so that I can import my bank statements into Quicken? Would it then be advisable to go to a "newer" version later and what about the Home/Business version? Thank you. So helpful to know this.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    gorsetr said:
    Thank you - so then I can just use my last back up and import it when I get free Quicken 2004 or 2013? Wow. I never expected to hear that news. Thank you.
    If you no longer want to use Quicken 2002, all you should need to do is restore the last Quicken 2002 back up with Quicken 2004 and Quicken 2004 should convert the data set to Quicken 2004 format.  Then, if you open the Quicken 2004 format data set with Quicken 2013, Quicken 2013 should be able to convert the Quicken 2004 data set to Quicken 2013 format.

Note: If you are invoking programs designed for an earlier version of Windows, you may need to set the program file's Compatibility mode property to an earlier version of Windows for them to run correctly.  This also means that if you are installing Quicken from a read-only media, you may need to copy the media temporarily to a modifiable storage drive (for example, a C: folder).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    gorsetr said:
    So if I understand the instructions correctly. On my Windows 7 PC, I can install Quicken 2004 following the instructions (my version is for small business will that matter?) and then I have to upgrade to Quicken 2013. Will changing to those versions change the type of Quicken file so that I can import my bank statements into Quicken? Would it then be advisable to go to a "newer" version later and what about the Home/Business version? Thank you. So helpful to know this.
    The free versions provide the Quicken Deluxe functionality.  They do convert all the data but you would not have access to any additional functionality offered by Premier, Home & Business, or Rental.  

If you want to use any Online Services, you would need to further upgrade to the Quicken Subscription product and maintain an active subscription: https://www.quicken.com/products

Note: The Quicken Subscription is not officially supported on Windows 7:  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-system-requirements
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you need to use the newest version of Quicken to import bank statements.  But until then or to convert to the newest version......

You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now.  Then it should run on newer versions of Windows.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013.

2013 should run on Windows 10.  You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

If your version is 2003 or earlier you will need to first convert to 2004.  Then convert to 2013.  Read that whole article on converting.

And FYI - If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.

The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.