Suggestion for new users - Backup your Quicken data files [edited]

TTSguy
TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
I just want to reiterate how important it is to be sure that you backup your Quicken Data File on a source outside your PC (ie: USB Drive, SD card, Portable SDD, Portable HDD or what you ever. I now have about a dozen devices that I back up to on a rotating regular basis just in case the device itself goes bad also. I learned the hard way with data loss and hours of trying to recreate lost data. Just buy a couple 2 or 3 USB drives and back up your data file to one of them at least daily. Once it becomes a habit it will be very easy, and there's a probability that one day you'll thank everyone that encouraged you to do so. Also I keep 2 or 3 of those devices specifically for Quicken Data files. Have fun with Quicken! Don't hesitate to ask for help, as the Super Users can be lifesavers!

Comments

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @TTSguy

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. We appreciate your suggestion immensely! You have made a great point in emphasizing the good habit of creating backups. 

Again thank you for your participation in the Quicken Community. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you aren't already, I suggest you consider maintaining multiple Quicken file backups at a remote location.  For example, cloud storage.   We keep three months of daily backups, 6 months of weekly backups, and 12 months of monthly backups.
  • David Green
    David Green Member ✭✭✭
    If you are going to use cloud storage, I suggest encrypting your backup file before uploading it. Cloud storage == somebody else's computer. You don't know what they're doing with your data. Back up the encryption software installation source and backup your private keys. A backup does no good if you can't open it. At minimum use a password on your data file in Quicken. Also keep at least one copy backed up to USB or elsewhere that's air-gapped from your computer just in case you get infected with ransomware. It would be nice if Quicken offered an option for encrypted backups within Quicken. However key management is complicated.
    Quicken for Windows Premiere
    Always the latest version
This discussion has been closed.