Q Mac Version 6.4.1 update has corrupted my data file - now Quicken can't open it

Garry@
Garry@ Member ✭✭✭✭
I installed the version 6.4.1 update to Quicken for Mac from within the app.  When the update finished Quicken tried to open my data file and popped an error (see attached).

I exited Quicken, restarted and tried to open my data file and got this message:

Please someone help.  Although I do have backups, they don't have everything.

Quicken 7.3.2 in macOS 14.1.1, on Mac Studio Max 24c. Quicken for Mac user since 1997.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Are you sure you don't have a recent backup? Quicken automatically creates one prior to each major version installation (e.g. your first install of 6.4.0 or 6.4.1), and by default (unless you've changed it) creates a backup every time you quit Quicken. Your latest backup, then, should be just before or shortly before, you installed the update.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Garry@
    Garry@ Member ✭✭✭✭
    I pulled out a backup of the Quicken app and my data. The data file only lacked a couple of transactions so all is well now on that front.

But, I don’t know when it will be safe to update the app to 6.4.1.  Maybe when it gets to 6.5,

I suspect something is not right with my data file. It is nearly 50MB and has gained 3MB in only 3 months. Anyway, as long as it works.

Quicken 7.3.2 in macOS 14.1.1, on Mac Studio Max 24c. Quicken for Mac user since 1997.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Garry@ What version are you currently running (prior to the 6.4.1 update)?

You may want to try to install 6.4.1 again and have it update your data again to see if the same problem recurs or not. Having not seen any other reports of the problem you showed, I wonder if it was just a quirk which would not recur. (Of course, maintain a copy of your current app and data file in case the problem does recur and you need to revert.) I wouldn't expect some cure in 6.5 if you've encountered a bug the developers aren't even aware of. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Garry@
    Garry@ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Thanks.  Quicken installed v6.4.2 with no trouble this morning.  I was on v6.3.3.  I suspect that available space was an issue – my data file is inside an encrypted image file that was close to running out of space.

My data file is still large (over 49MB).  But, it seems to be working correctly.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.