Source of unexplained difference between a security holding and its cost basis

fergy1
fergy1 Member ✭✭
edited October 2021 in Investing (Windows)
In checking my Quicken entries against account statements I have an unexplained difference between the current value of the holding and its cost basis. Everything was fine up until my August statement. All values compared through the end of July 2021. August only had 4 transaction with this security. The values related to these four entries were checked;they agreed with the account statement. They were entered correctly. On the off chance that the values looked OK but were internally incorrect, I deleted all four entries and re-entered them. No change. Do things like this happen with Quicken, particularly as the data file for Quicken becomes larger. It's not apparent that this discrepancy can be overcome.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked the price history?  You might have a price for a date in the future or price that doesn't match.  Right click on the security and edit the price history to view the prices.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it the value of the security that differs?  Or the Cost Basis?  I'm not entirely sure what you're saying.
    If it's the value, search the Price History for discrepancies.
    If it's the Cost Basis, did you execute any sales in the account?  If so, did you instruct your broker as to  WHICH tax lots to sell.  If you didn't, they most likely sold on a FIFO basis.  Did you choose FIFO also?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• fergy1
    fergy1 Member ✭✭
    The cost basis for the fund matches the statement that I receive monthly. The current market value is off. This is a money market fund with a constant share value of $1.00 so the mismatch is not caused by an error in the value. I checked the historical entries for the fund back to August of 2020. The current market value of the fund matches the statements up to and including July 2021. The mismatch starts in August 2021. There are only 4 transactions in August; checked them for accuracy--they were entered correctly. On the off chance that one of these was damaged internally to Quicken, I deleted all 4 and re-entered them. No help there. I'm totally puzzled as to the source of this error.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Click on Investing, Portfolio and then RIGHT click on the name of the MMF and click Price History.  Are there any non-$1 quotes shown?  Either change then to $1, or delete them altogether.
    Also, since my MMF's, like yours are a constant $1, I just don't bother to download quotes for them.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a MM fund, the cost basis should always equal the market value —on each and every day. I would be walking the portfolio view through time to see where the divergence begins. 
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.