Difference between the amount on the Portfolio page and the balance in the transaction register

rhb2
rhb2 Member ✭✭
edited October 2021 in Investing (Windows)
For a given date and account the portfolio page and the transaction register show a difference of $3000

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should try clicking the "Options" button in the upper right hand corner of that page, then selecting "Customize current view..."
    Make sure all the Account are selected and then look at the Securities tab to see if a particular security hasn't been selected.
  • rhb2
    rhb2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion, but didn't help. Have run Validate and didn't change anything.
  • rhb2
    rhb2 Member ✭✭
    I located the spot 5 yrs ago where the $3000 jump occurs on the portfolio screen. There is a $3K cash transfer to another account in the register. I deleted that transfer in both the sending and receiving account. Even though there is no entry in the account register the portfolio cash balance still jumps $3K on that date while the cash balance in the register remains the same.
  • ruggb
    ruggb Member ✭✭
    The same type of problem I am having and it may be related and neither QW nor the EXPERT technical support team has any clue how to fix it.
    This is the most frustrating program and EXPERT technical support I have ever had. After ~30 years one would think they could get it right. But it took them that long to figure out how to set the focus to the password entry field when you open QW instead of making you click on it. And the latest version is not what you download from the website. You must dnld and install the MONDO PATCH to get the latest which is 36.17 - that is the one that fixes the focus. I would abandon QW in a heartbeat if other options would give me better reports.
    I have been on the phone with 6 TS people, none of them have a clue.
  • ruggb
    ruggb Member ✭✭
    After 8 TS people, I finally found someone with the answer. I had to go to EDIT/PREFERENCES/INVESTMENT TRANSACTIONS and check SHOW HIDDEN TRANSACTIONS. Then back to the register to delete placeholder transactions and click on PLACEHOLDER(2) at the bottom to FINALLY make the account register correct.
    That is what QW IT people call user friendly.
  • rhb2
    rhb2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for responding. What does 'to delete placeholder transactions' mean. Is it a tool somewhere? I don't see 'Placeholder (2) anywhere.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Placeholder is simply a "transaction" that Quicken generates if the number of shares of a security reported by the broker is different than the number of shares of that security in Quicken.  Like any other transaction in your transaction list this Quicken-generated transaction can be deleted in the usual manner of selecting the transaction, right clicking the mouse, and selecting delete.
    You should NOT allow Quicken to automatically post placeholders in the transaction list as the process really isn't perfect.  For example, I frequently find that with Schwab a ReinvDiv transaction will create a request by Quicken to make a placeholder with the exact same number of shares as were purchased in the ReinvDiv transaction.  (Seems like the "number of shares" bucket in Schwab's download frequently lags behind the actual number of shares owned, creating the conflict.)  If I were to accept the Placeholder I'd end up with more shares in Quicken than I actually own, so I decline the Placeholder.