Unable to manually enter retirement info when not on internet (Q Mac)

louabill
louabill Member ✭✭
I have to enter my retirement account transactions by hand (thanks, Vanguard). Starting recently, this fails when not hooked up to the internet. If I'm offline, whenever I enter Reinvest Dividend/Interest/Capital Gain entries, the number of shares goes to 0, and the security name goes blank. If I make the same entry while online, the entry is accepted.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

It only started recently, and should be a bug, as Quicken should work as well offline as on when hand-entering entries.

I'm using Version 6.4.2 (Build 604.41752.100) under macOS 11.6
Tagged:

Comments

• louabill
    louabill Member ✭✭
    An update:

I tried following advice from the MS Windows forums by

Quitting Quicken
    Setting up a Network setting with no possible connections
    Using that network
    Starting Quicken

The problem continued, unless I allowed Quicken to call home and update prices for the given security.

I often work in places with crappy connectivity, so I need Quicken to be able work offline.

Help!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @louabill You should use Help > Report a problem to report this.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • louabill
    louabill Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. I just did as you said, so we'll see what happens. I'll post back if I hear anything.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @louabill  Unfortunately, the Report A Problem feature is basically a black hole; you report comes in, but you hear nothing back. If they test what you report, can reproduce it, and agree it is a bug, then it gets entered in their bug database -- where it may get prompt attention or sit for years. If they test what you report and don't understand or can't reproduce it, then they just toss the submission. In neither case do you hear back from Quicken. 

I don't think I'm seeing the issue you're reporting. I simply turned off WiFi on my iMac, launched Quicken, clicked on an investment account, clicked New, entered a Reinvest Dividend transaction for one of my Vanguard bonds funds at $150 for 10 shares, and clicked Save. The transaction recorded normally: the security name is intact, the 10 shares are in places, and the $15 price/share is correct. (I note I'm on 4.6.3, and you said 4.6.2; have you re-tested this on 4.6.3?)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • louabill
    louabill Member ✭✭
    @jacobs: I was wondering if I would get any acknowledgement (even automated) from Quicken... so I guess the answer is no. Thanks for pointing this out.

As for Quicken 6.4.3, when I just checked for updates, the alert said that 6.4.2 is the newest version available. I quit and restarted Quicken (and just for good measure, quit and restarted my laptop) to no avail. So... I can't test to see if the bug is in 6.4.3.

Just for good measure, I tested it again under 6.4.2, and got the same blanking of the security name along with the number of shares.
  • louabill
    louabill Member ✭✭
    @jacobs: OK, I finally got to update to 6.4.3 today, and....

Things seem to be mostly fixed. At first, I kept having problems unless I first put my computer on the 'Airplane' (no socket) network and then started Quicken, and then used the return key instead of clicking on the Save button.

I played around some more, and now things appear to be OK even if I just shut of the wifi connection.

So, if the issue appears again, I'll post again. I'm hoping I'll be silent for a long time.

Thanks for your help.
  • louabill
    louabill Member ✭✭
    Well, for future reference, 6.4.4 just came out (for me) today (Oct 28, 2021). The bug still exists, but is not reproducible. It can happen for 3 entries in a row and then go away for multiple entries, only to start happening from time to time. So... my guess is that it'll be around from now until forever, as intermittent bugs pretty much never get fixed.

Ugh.
This discussion has been closed.