quicken on new pc (Q Mac)

vix2000
vix2000 Member
I had a quicken trial which I cancelled during the trial period, however continued to use it manually as allowed after the trial period. I have a new pc and I cannot download the quicken programme to access my data. Can anyone help please?

Answers

• vix2000
    vix2000 Member
    Whichever copy I download it says "Your Deluxe plan expired before this version of Quicken was released." 27 february 2019 was when my original subscription started.
  • vix2000
    vix2000 Member
    Hi Greg thanks for the advice. as I am on mac I downloaded v5.10 from january 2019. Initially it wont open as it can't be checked for malicious content. I sort that in system preferences. it then says that it can't be installed as it isnt from a recognised developer. I override that and the installer file is in finder. I double click it but it won't open. I've tried it multiple times but it is just the same. Any ideas please?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @vix2000 First, just to clarify something, to the best of my knowledge there aren't ever trial versions of Quicken; usually people purchase a copy, try it, and apply for a refund within 30 days if they don't want to keep it. In such a case, since one has "returned" the software, there's no legal right to continue using it. But any copy of Quicken Mac will continue to work in manual entry mode, of course. Unless there was some special trial program I'm unaware of, they don't invite people to use the software for free forever.

Back to the matter at hand...  It sounds like you found where to download older versions of Quicken Mac, but for anyone else reading this thread, here is the link for downloading expired subscription versions of Quicken Mac:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has-0

(There are potential problems with the way Quicken has implemented this program to allow re-downloading old versions. You say your subscription started on February 27, 2019, so you should be downloading the version which was current at that time, version 5.10.1. But are you sure you subscription started on February 27, and didn't end on February 27, 2019? Here's why this could be important. If you started on February 27 and had a subscription for one month, then there's a good chance you might have updated to version 5.11.0 on or after March 7.)

Could you clarify exactly where things are going wrong. Are you saying that you have the file quicken.dmg on your desktop, and double-clicking it results in... nothing? It won't open the .dmg file? Opening the dmg is a macOS issue having noting to do with Quicken. Or does the .dmg file open and you get the window with the large red Quicken banner? And you're double-clicking on the Quicken Installer.app icon and is that when you have to open your System Preferences > Security & Privacy? I notice from your spelling of several words that you may not be in the US; are you somewhere else in the world? If so, I wonder if your Mac's Language & Region setting is interfering with the installer. Could you try temporarily switching the Region to United States and then trying again. When you double-click the installer, does anything happen?

Finally, one potentially easy way to sidestep this issue is to simply grab the Quicken.app file from the Application folder of your old Mac, or a backup of your old Mac, and drop it into the Application folder of your new Mac. Unlike Quicken Windows, all that's needed on the Mac is the Quicken.app file; all the other preference ands supporting files will be re-created on the new Mac the first time you launch it. You will have to tell it to open the Quicken data file you brought over from your old Mac, but you can be up and running without the installer.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • vix2000
    vix2000 Member
    Yes, sorry I meant that I cancelled after I trialled the program.
  • jacobs
    vix2000 said:
    Yes, sorry I meant that I cancelled after I trialled the program.
    Okay, so just to be clear, if you got your money back, you were supposed to delete the software and stop using it, because you had not paid for it. Quicken doesn't enforce this, though, so you can get away with it -- but technically you're using software you haven't paid for. But I'm happy to try to help you in any case. ;)

Please reply to the other suggestions or questions from my post above and let us know where you get stuck.
  • vix2000
    vix2000 Member
    No Quicken allows you to use it manually if you cancel your subscription. I have been using it to manually enter my bank transactions. There is no rule from quicken to delete the software when you stop subscribing, as it says on many threads on here.
  • vix2000
    vix2000 Member
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7892486/can-you-use-quicken-after-your-subscription-expires
  • vix2000
    vix2000 Member
    Also I would gladly pay the subscription if the Quicken site would accept my payment methods.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did you pay for the software initially? Why wouldn't Quicken accept your payment methods? Did you cancel your subscription or request a refund?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • vix2000
    vix2000 Member
    I have used quicken since the 90's for my personal accounts. When it was no longer available in the UK the version I had, 2010 I think, was still usable and I used it until the beginning of 2019. Unfortunately my laptop got damaged and I no longer had the installation disc. I was told I could purchase quicken and that it would work in UK £ as the currency could be changed. I paid with my paypal account. When I started using it I realised that I could not use most of the functions of the software and the subscription fee is high just to use it as a basic account checker. I therefore requested a refund. I was told by quicken customer services that I could still use it as a basic manual personal accounting program, just with no internet bank connections. I have been using it in this way until my laptop went in for repair and the hard drive was wiped. It says on the quicken website that I can download the older version that I was using but as you can see above this is not working. I have been trying to buy all day, directly from quicken, also from amazon but I am assuming I need a US card for the purchase. I have tried revolut and paypal as well as my bank cards. Obviously I do not want to loose my data. So no, I am not trying to "scam" free software, I thin k I'm a bit long in the tooth to start doing that.
  • jacobs
    vix2000 said:
    No Quicken allows you to use it manually if you cancel your subscription. I have been using it to manually enter my bank transactions. There is no rule from quicken to delete the software when you stop subscribing, as it says on many threads on here.
    When you purchase a Quicken subscription, use it, and then don't renew your subscription, then yes, you are entitled to continue using the software manually, indefinitely. This is explainedin the link you posted above for an expired subscription.

On the other hand, when you purchase a subscription, cancel it, and receive a refund of the money you paid, then you are not entitled to use the software, because you "returned" it. If Quicken Support told you otherwise, that would be a surprise to me, and I think it's incorrect, as it would mean everyone could purchase, return and forever use Quicken software for free, minus online connectivity, and I don't think that is their intent. That's why I was saying this is technically not allowed, but is also not enforced.

In any case, it shouldn't matter in terms of getting the software on the new computer. 

vix2000 said:
    Also I would gladly pay the subscription if the Quicken site would accept my payment methods.
    As you know, Quicken is only sold in the the United States and Canada -- but many people in other countries do purchase it. I wonder if the problem is where you are inputting your address, if you're trying to purchase direct from Quicken. Give them a US address, not your UK address. I would think then that any credit card which can make a transaction in US dollars would go through.

But again, this doesn't get to the heart of the reinstallation issue. You've now added that your old computer's hard drive was wiped. So do you have no backup of your old computer at all? No Time Machine or other copy, nor online backup? (If not, this is a subject for another day, but please do yourself a favor and get an external hard drive to use for Time Machine, or purchase some other online backup service. Anyone with data on their computer of any value -- financial, pictures, music, documents -- should have at least one reliable backup.)

But you do have a copy of your Quicken data file? And no copy of the Quicken.app? 

Please re-visit the post I wrote above yesterday and step through exactly where the installation process fails for you. Did you try my suggestion about the Region setting? I'm still trying to understand why you're not able to install the software.
This discussion has been closed.