Issue with Credit Card Reconciliation

BamaT75
BamaT75 Member ✭✭
I have a credit card that reconciled correctly last month. The closing date on the statement was 9/11/2021. I have one charge of $90 that was showing the transaction date and posted date as 9/9/2021 but it did not show on the previous statement. I am trying to reconcile this month's statement and when I include that transaction as a cleared item (it is on this month's statement) the total of my debits in the reconcile window matches this month's credit card balance but the "Cleared Balance" in the Quicken reconcile window is $90 too high. I have tried deleting the transaction and re-entering it but continue to have the same problem. I have validated the file and have the same problem. I was on version R35.31 and when I checked for updates the software says I am up to date. I checked online and saw there was an update to R36.23 so I downloaded and installed that version. The reconciliation problem repeated. I am a 24 year user of Quicken and don't remember an issue like this before. Any suggestions?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• BamaT75
    BamaT75 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I did some more digging and looked for other $90 transactions in this account. I found the opening balance from 2016 was $90 and should have been zero. I had validated the file since the last reconciliation because of another issue and it must have inserted $90 into the opening balance for some reason. Anyway, issue is resolved for now.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the first thing I'd try at this point is to "undo" the reconciliation for the statement date of 9/11/21 and then try reconciling that statement again.  It doesn't seem possible that a 9/9/21 transactions posted to the register 9/9/21 could be omitted in a correctly reconciled 9/11/21 reconciliation.
    The undoing of the 9/11/21 reconciliation involves changing all the "R"s created as part of that reconciliation back to "c"s.  You can do this piecemeal or en masse.  To do the change en masse, click on the first transaction to be changed, move down to the last item to be changed and use the Windows convention of holding down the {Shift} key while selecting this transaction.  Then right-click on the mouse and select "Reconcile status..."
  • BamaT75
    BamaT75 Member ✭✭
    I undid the previous month's reconciliation. When I was trying to reconcile last month's statement again, after I click on the payment and charges from that statement there is again a $90 difference. This is before I get to this months statement. I completely deleted the $90 transaction and still have the same problem. Any other ideas?
  • BamaT75
    BamaT75 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I did some more digging and looked for other $90 transactions in this account. I found the opening balance from 2016 was $90 and should have been zero. I had validated the file since the last reconciliation because of another issue and it must have inserted $90 into the opening balance for some reason. Anyway, issue is resolved for now.
  • David Green
    David Green Member ✭✭✭
    > @BamaT75 said:
    > I did some more digging and looked for other $90 transactions in this account. I found the opening balance from 2016 was $90 and should have been zero. I had validated the file since the last reconciliation because of another issue and it must have inserted $90 into the opening balance for some reason. Anyway, issue is resolved for now.

I'm glad you got it resolved. FWIW I had a similar problem with my checking account last month. I found an extra $220.00 transaction had been added or at least changed. The transaction was from a few years ago when I know the account had been reconciled many times without a problem. I did not change that transaction, I would have had no reason to. I suspect Quicken did something, but can't really prove it.
    Quicken for Windows Premiere
    Always the latest version
This discussion has been closed.