When EFTs are downloaded from the bank how can I get them to be automatically categorized? (Q Mac)

Options
dwass
dwass Member ✭✭
EFTs downloaded from the bank usually have the category field blank. When I add the category (usually "gross income") sometimes I am given the chance to make any deposit from this payer the same category. But it doesn't "stick". Then next EFT is uncategorized.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You can save or manually create QuickFill rules for any Payee. The QuickFill rule can include any of the transactions fields: category, tags, memo, amount, memo and splits.

The question is whether each transaction you download comes in with the exact same Payee from your financial institution. In many cases, the financial institution sends text which makes each Payee unique, such as "Home Depot Store#1234 Anytown" and "Home Depot Store#9876 Yourtown". Quicken sees those as different Payees. If the financial institution includes a date or some transaction number in the Payee field, then every transaction will have a unique Payee. This is where Renaming Rules come in. In this example, I could create a Renaming Rule to say "If Statement Name contains Home Depot, Set Payee Name to Home Depot". Then if you had a QuickFill Rule for Home Depot, once the name is normalized, the rule would kick in and your category would be applied. The key with Quicken Mac renaming rules is that there must be a delimiter (like a space or punctuation) between the word or words you want the rule to search for; if the financial institution transmits the Payee name as "HomeDepotStore#1234Anytown", you might be out of luck in being able to construct a Renaming Rule.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dwass
    dwass Member ✭✭
    Options
    This was somewhat helpful but where do I go to create the quick fill rules?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Window > Payees & Rules

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.