Is there any news or updates regarding QFX downloads from RBC (Payee/Memo reversed)

Bruce McDonald
Bruce McDonald Member ✭✭
I had a board post on this topic probably 2 years ago now and I see I am still fighting with the same problems in the same way.

Due to Quicken' s inability to properly complete a One Step Update or an Online Center update - I always need to revert back to a manual .qfx file download from RBC.

And anytime I am working with our chequing account - the qfx file FROM RBC - always has the Payee and Memo fields reserved - which of course get loaded into Quicken and need to be manually updated every time.

Seems that progress has been made with RBC Visa - I am noticing that .qfx extract is pretty much bang on most weeks - but the file that comes from our chequing acct is a total disaster.

Was hoping that Quicken may have actually noticed this is a problem and done something about it - OR gotten the ear of whoever/whatever creates this file at RBC and had them correct their code.

Would love an update on this - and no - before anyone says anything about contacting RBC - that the deadest of dead ends. No one there will ever talk about or comment on every the slightest possibility of a problem from their end. Their stock answer is to contact Quicken.

Cheers!

Bruce

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I seriously doubt that Quicken Inc is going to do anything about this, since it is the financial institution that is generating the QFX file, and doing it "wrong".  They have to change it.  And you as the customer are more likely to "get their attention" than Quicken Inc.  If they aren't going to listen to you as a customer, they certainly aren't going to listen to Quicken Inc.

And I put wrong in quotes because they might not see it the same way.  Some financial institutions stick the "payee information" in the memo, maybe because of the limitation of 32 characters in the payee field or maybe some other reason they find when doing the processing, but there are ones that do that.

But do note that Quicken's renaming rules will look into the memo even though it only says payee, to decide if it is a match, and as such that can be used to correct the payee.

One other possibility that might gain some traction is you submitting a feature request to have the ability to switch the downloaded payee and memo.  To do that go to the Home webpage and select New Post -> New Idea.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • > @Chris_QPW said: I seriously doubt that Quicken Inc is going to do anything about this, since it is the financial institution that is generating the QFX file, and doing it "wrong".  They have to change it.  And you as the customer are more likely to "get their attention" than Quicken Inc.  If they aren't going to listen to you as a customer, they certainly aren't going to listen to Quicken Inc.
    >
    > And I put wrong in quotes because they might not see it the same way.  Some financial institutions stick the "payee information" in the memo, maybe because of the limitation of 32 characters in the payee field or maybe some other reason they find when doing the processing, but there are ones that do that.
    >
    > But do note that Quicken's renaming rules will look into the memo even though it only says payee, to decide if it is a match, and as such that can be used to correct the payee.
    >
    >
    >
    > One other possibility that might gain some traction is you submitting a feature request to have the ability to switch the downloaded payee and memo.  To do that go to the Home webpage and select New Post -> New Idea.

Chris

Thanks for the update. I have done pretty much all the things you mention above to no avail. Up to and incuding Quicken's renaming rules - which only really seem to do anything (for me anyway) when using the online tools (Web Connect etc) to connect to RBC and download the data.

I have tested the rules extensively for a manual .qfx file import and they do absolutely nothing.

At the start of 2021 - I even created a brand new empty Quicken file with hopes that this would solve my Online Connect or One Step Updates or Web Connect and still could not get it working correctly.

And yes - I have gone the feature request route AND logged several tickets/chat sessions with support (one was a good 40 minute chat where I had all my qfx file stats right there so the agent could exactly what I was talking about). All to no avail.

Will assume that without a major intervention by Quicken to RBC this will never be addressed. I do find it very interesting that my credit card import (RBC Visa) was also busted a year or two ago and now suddenly works perfectly. I downloaded a fresh QFX moments before this post - and all Payee and Memo data is exactly where it should be in the source file - regardless of character length etc.

So it can be rectified - someone/somewhere updated the code for the qfx Visa export in the last two years because it was broken too.

Cheers

B
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    On the renaming rule check to make sure you are using "if payee contains" instead of "If Quicken name is".  I haven't checked these extensively and I always use "If payee contains", but importing of QFX files should honor the renaming rules.

I'm going out right now, but later I will double check this is still working at least in the US version since I don't have the Canadian version.  I might also have another workaround that I will test.

Signature:
  • > @Chris_QPW said:
    > On the renaming rule check to make sure you are using "if payee contains" instead of "If Quicken name is".  I haven't checked these extensively and I always use "If payee contains", but importing of QFX files should honor the renaming rules.
    >
    > I'm going out right now, but later I will double check this is still working at least in the US version since I don't have the Canadian version.  I might also have another workaround that I will test.

Chris

Thanks again. I believe the sole reason that the renaming rules never work here is that Quicken cannot find any payee names at all - because any actual payees to correct are all sitting in the MEMO fields in the QFX file.

If Quicken had some way to examine the Memo fields as it scans a .QFX file on the way in - we might be onto something - but if the fields are consistently reversed - the renaming rules are all completely moot.

Cheers

B
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK the trick is that you have to use "If payee contains" not "If Quicken name is".

Given this in the QFX file:
    <STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>CREDIT
    <DTPOSTED>20211025120000[0:GMT]
    <TRNAMT>269.37
    <FITID>202102180
    <NAME>Not Right
    <MEMO>ThePayee ID: 9111111103
    </STMTTRN>

The first New transaction below was when I had it set to "If Quicken name is".
    The second is when I have it set to "If payee contains":
    (I changed the FITID in between to force it to import again):

The renaming rule looks like this:

Signature:
  • Bruce McDonald
    Bruce McDonald Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    > @Chris_QPW said: OK the trick is that you have to use "If payee contains" not "If Quicken name is".
    >
    > Given this in the QFX file:
    > <STMTTRN><TRNTYPE>CREDIT<DTPOSTED>20211025120000[0:GMT]<TRNAMT>269.37<FITID>202102180<NAME>Not Right<MEMO>ThePayee ID: 9111111103</STMTTRN>
    >
    > The first New transaction below was when I had it set to "If Quicken name is".
    > The second is when I have it set to "If payee contains":
    > (I changed the FITID in between to force it to import again):
    >
    >
    >
    > The renaming rule looks like this:

Chris

I have your exact settings (for Renaming Rules) and it still does not make any difference.

Regardless of the rule or how many times I have edited them - they refuse to actually rename anything.

There is one grocery store we shop at (a lot) and I set up a rename rule for that place years ago - and every single time I do our financials - there I am correcting entries from this grocery store.

The rename rule is completely ignored - again - either due to the manual "double click" on a QFX to load it into Quicken OR the fact that the Payee values appear in Memo and the Memo text appears in Name.

I gave up on it long ago - and it appears that nothing I can do will ever get it working.

Cheers

B
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have this preference on?

If that still doesn't work you can use my program to convert your QFX file to a QFX file with the payee and memo switched.  It is a free program, ImportQIF.  You can find it at: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
    Signature:
  • > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Do you have this preference on?
    >
    >
    > If that still doesn't work you can use my program to convert your QFX file to a QFX file with the payee and memo switched.  It is a free program, ImportQIF.  You can find it at: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Chris

Thanks again for your updates.

Yes that item is checked and still no joy. I will give your utility a try and see how that goes.

Cheers!

B
  • Chris

I downloaded your utility and browsed through the PDF help files but do not know exactly what order this utility works on. Am I correct in assuming that if I add my Joint Chequing acct (Under Setup) and then click the option to reverse the Memo and Name fields - then load a file and process it? And then load that file to Quicken? Do I have this correct?

B
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris

I downloaded your utility and browsed through the PDF help files but do not know exactly what order this utility works on. Am I correct in assuming that if I add my Joint Chequing acct (Under Setup) and then click the option to reverse the Memo and Name fields - then load a file and process it? And then load that file to Quicken? Do I have this correct?

B
    This is a question better answered by asking me on my website(submit contact form).
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.