Switching to Quicken for Mac

This discussion was created from comments split from: Account Status update is wrong when updating all accounts. (Q Mac).

Comments

• Clint
    Clint Member ✭✭
    I have used Quicken for Windows for 30+ years and it's the best (even better since it left Intuit & went to a subscription plan with more frequent updates)...however, I'm now having the same issues discussed here on my account updates with the PC version on a HP PC which I use exclusively for Quicken. Today, and for a while now, I was considering migrating to Q for Mac, thinking it would be less problematic on one step downloads which I've experienced over the last couple weeks. I was going to buy/download Q for Mac but website said I couldn't do it till my current PC subscription expired. My experience with Quicken is that they never fess up to global problems like this but eventually they get resolved some how.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Clint said:
    I was going to buy/download Q for Mac but website said I couldn't do it till my current PC subscription expired. 
    @Clint Something here doesn't make sense. Since Quicken went to the subscription pricing scheme in fall 2017, any subscription allows you to download and use the Windows version and/or the Mac version. (Prior to that, you had to purchase Mac and Windows versions separately.)

So just to double check, are you going to Quicken.com and signing into your account with your QuickenID and password? After login, you land on the "Welcome to your account" screen. In the box titled "Access Your Apps", there are buttons to download Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac. 

Are you saying you're clicking the Quicken for Mac button, and then it tells you you can't download Quicken Mac? Can you capture a screenshot or two and post them here so we can understand and get to the bottom of it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Clint
    Clint Member ✭✭
    "Are you saying you're clicking the Quicken for Mac button, and then it tells you you can't download Quicken Mac?" Answer is yes, kind of, even after logging in to my Quicken account Q for PC, it only allows me to modify the windows app I've got. There's a toggle button u can move to Mac from Windows on another screen but it seemingly only allows changes to the PC subscription, It does not enable purchase of the Mac version...perhaps because I'm on my PC when I do this. Not really interested in the Mac version though. PC version is a much richer/full featured program. Many PC Q users, including me, are having continued download errors, 501 & 502..can't setup new accounts without getting the 502 error. Quicken support is aware of ongoing global issues although they just want to talk about them with specific institutions...I'm having troubles with Bank of America and Elan Financial Services
  • jacobs
    @Clint Your reply doesn't address what I posted above. Since Quicken moved to subscriptions in 2017, there is no such thing as a Mac or Windows subscription; every subscription allows you to download and run the Windows and the Mac version. Did you log into your account at Quicken.com? Does the screen look different than the one I posted above? If so, could you post a screenshot? 

I'm also confused, because in your original post above you wrote "Today, and for a while now, I was considering migrating to Q for Mac" and "I was going to buy/download Q for Mac". In your latest post, you wrote, "Not really interested in the Mac version though." If you're not interested in moving to Quicken Mac, and want help with the issues you're having with your financial institutions, you should start a new post in a Quicken Windows category of this forum; this thread is in a Quicken Mac category and won't be seen by most Quickness's Windows users.

• I have used Quicken for PC for almost 20 years and have been a great fan. I tried to convert my data to a Mac in May, 2021 After months of struggling with the Mac version of Quicken, I came to the conclusion that the program does not meet my needs. It does not give functional multi-page reports and has less data entry functionality compared with Quicken for PC. I then tried to bring my data back to a PC. The Quicken agent didn't advise me about using a new file versus the old file for the converted data. I did both. 1) When I brought the converted Mac data into the old file I lost about half of the data; that is, many transactions and and categories didn't convert from the Mac to the PC. 2) When I brought the Mac data to a new file on the PC, I lost of all my investment transactions. I am now told that both results in the conversion process were unavoidable. I was deeply disappointed in Quicken and asked for a refund for the six months remaining on my subscription. I was told that was not possible, adding insult to injury. Please, Quicken, realize that your greatest fans can become disheartened after such an experience and you need to accept responsibility for the poor conversion results.
  • jacobs
    @Margaret Green I'm sorry to read that you were unaware that there is no viable data transfer from Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows -- it's something that is well-documented on this forum, as well as Quicken's web page about data conversions. Only transfers from Windows to Mac are viable (unless you don't have investment data). 

Why Quicken has never put time into developing a Mac-to-Windows conversion from the modern Quicken Mac is something I've never understood; I assume it's because almost all people converting platforms wish too go from Windows to Mac.

I'm curious about your mention of Quicken Mac not producing functional multi-page reports, as I generate multi-page reports all the time. But if you've committed to not using Quicken Mac, I suppose there's no point in revisiting what didn't work well for you with Quicken Mac.

Best wishes with whatever software you've decided to use going forward. 
This discussion has been closed.