Converting from Quicken Windows to Mac, Currently Using Quicken on the Web As Well

MissFitz
MissFitz Member ✭✭
Hey All,

My Windows subscription is almost up and I'm converting to Quicken for Mac.

My question is this:
Since I'm already syncing it on my Mac via the app for Quicken on the Web, will I still need to export a backup file from the old Windows computer to import into the Mac to connect the new subscription or is my Web access sufficient?

I hope I'm being clear. ;)

Many thanks!

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @MissFitz  There is only one subscription to Quicken; any subscription allows you to use Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac as you see fit. So you can renew your subscription and you will continue to be able to use both programs should you need to.

If you've migrated your data successful to Quicken Mac, as John said above, all that matters is your data file on your Mac's hard drive; that's where all your data is held. You can feel free to delete any Cloud data file(s) which exist, and then click Reset to have your Quicken desktop application upload the subset of data required for the mobile app or mobile interface. If you only plan to use the application on your Mac, before you click Reset, you may want to visit the Preferences> Mobile, Web & Alerts screen to turn OFF Sync. If you do this, a new Quicken Cloud file will be created, but it will not upload your transaction data to the Cloud file. If you do intend to use the mobile app and/or web interface, then you want to leave Sync turned on.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Hi, MissFitz:

The Web/Cloud dataset is a small subset of your data, and cannot be used for backup/restoration purposes. So, yes, you will indeed have to perform the conversion of your Windows data file to your Mac version.

• MissFitz
    MissFitz Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much, John_in_NC!
    Do I need to delete the web data (essentially start over) prior to converting to avoid duplicate transactions?
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You don't have to reset your cloud data on the Windows side, but I suggest you do: The Mac version is going to upload its own cloud data which is different than the Win version. You shouldn't see any interaction between the two, but the only way to remove the unneeded one is from the Windows machine. So, get rid of it while you can. 

FYI: Deleting the cloud data does not mean "starting over." Your desktop file is the master file, and only a small subset of it is uploaded to the cloud so that you can work with recent things. So, if you convert your Win file to Mac, you should have all your data.
  • MissFitz
    MissFitz Member ✭✭
    I haven’t ever opened the web data on the windows computer.
    I converted the Windows data for the Mac and uploaded it via the app there. So I’ve only accessed it on the web via the Mac. It’s currently saving backup files on the Mac as well. It’s connected to the Dell (Windows) Cloud Account according to Connected Services is Quicken Preferences.
    It seems as though I need to delete it all, update, convert and export the Windows data. Import it into Mac and then sync it to the web.
    I sure appreciate your help!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you seen this?  Convert from Windows to Mac

Converting from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• MissFitz
    MissFitz Member ✭✭
    Hi volvogirl,

Yes, I have. I converted the backup from Windows and have been accessing Quicken on the Web via my Mac for two months. My subscription for the Windows version is about to expire and I want to switch to the Mac version. Although I am accessing it via my Mac, Quicken on the Web is currently connected to the Dell (Windows) Cloud Account according to Connected Services in Quicken Preferences. It is also backing up the files on the Mac.

Do I subscribe to the Mac version and simply connect remove the Dell (Windows) account in Connected Services and add the new Mac account or do I have to start all over by backing it up from the Windows account and add it to the Mac?

Many thanks!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @MissFitz  There is only one subscription to Quicken; any subscription allows you to use Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac as you see fit. So you can renew your subscription and you will continue to be able to use both programs should you need to.

If you've migrated your data successful to Quicken Mac, as John said above, all that matters is your data file on your Mac's hard drive; that's where all your data is held. You can feel free to delete any Cloud data file(s) which exist, and then click Reset to have your Quicken desktop application upload the subset of data required for the mobile app or mobile interface. If you only plan to use the application on your Mac, before you click Reset, you may want to visit the Preferences> Mobile, Web & Alerts screen to turn OFF Sync. If you do this, a new Quicken Cloud file will be created, but it will not upload your transaction data to the Cloud file. If you do intend to use the mobile app and/or web interface, then you want to leave Sync turned on.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MissFitz
    MissFitz Member ✭✭
    Thank you so very much! It’s crystal clear now. Appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.