Quicken improperly names stocks when retrieved form brokerage account

PaulF1001
PaulF1001 Member ✭✭
edited November 2021 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken retrieves record from my Schwab account Southwest Airline stock entry (luv) and labels it Southern Company(so). How can this be resolved?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken uses the CUSIP ID to match securities from the financial institution - that includes transactions, share balances, and quotes.  

Quicken uses the ticker symbol to pull prices from the third-party quote service.

Quicken relies on a unique value for a security used by the financial institution to identify the security in the Quicken file.  Quicken refers to this field as the CUSIP ID.  When Quicken receives a CUSIP ID that it is not already bound to a security in Quicken, Quicken will prompt us to associate the security with a new security or a security that is not already assigned a CUSIP ID.  To clear the CUSIP ID assigned to a security, we may uncheck Matched with online security on the Edit Security Details window of the security and the next time Quicken processes an unbound CUSIP ID, the security should be available to be matched.  For publicly traded securities, the CUSIP ID should be the same as the CUSIP number.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken uses the CUSIP ID to match securities from the financial institution - that includes transactions, share balances, and quotes.  

Quicken uses the ticker symbol to pull prices from the third-party quote service.

Quicken relies on a unique value for a security used by the financial institution to identify the security in the Quicken file.  Quicken refers to this field as the CUSIP ID.  When Quicken receives a CUSIP ID that it is not already bound to a security in Quicken, Quicken will prompt us to associate the security with a new security or a security that is not already assigned a CUSIP ID.  To clear the CUSIP ID assigned to a security, we may uncheck Matched with online security on the Edit Security Details window of the security and the next time Quicken processes an unbound CUSIP ID, the security should be available to be matched.  For publicly traded securities, the CUSIP ID should be the same as the CUSIP number.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    See my Security List entries for SO and LUV.

Those appear to be the correct CUSIPs for SO and LUV.  If yours are different, do as Sherlock said and uncheck the "Matched" box.
  • PaulF1001
    PaulF1001 Member ✭✭
    Southern Company was hidden in my security list it also had the CUSIP ID of 84447118. The CUSIP ID for Southwest Airlines was blank.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume you are confirming that you found the LUV CUSIP (844741108) associated to the SO security (hidden).  Did you follow through with undoing the "Matched with online security box for SO?  After unchecking that box you should get the option to make the proper association, as Sherlock indicated. 
  • PaulF1001
    PaulF1001 Member ✭✭
    Yes, I did. Stock is now showing up properly. Thank yo much for your assistance.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So , how does something like this even get messed up ? 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ps56k2 said:
    So , how does something like this even get messed up ? 
    One way something like this even get messed up is by inadvertently identifying the wrong security when Quicken prompts us to provide an unmatched security or new security.