How Do I Disable/Remove Home Inventory?

I have a home inventory account . I recently went to view this account and Quicken asked if I wanted to install the Home Inventory app, to which I replied 'yes'. Now when I go into this account, the Home Inventory app comes up but doesn't display anything, and my computer is essentially locked as I cannot do anything else. I have to kill the Home Inventory process in order to use any other programs. How do I remove this app?

Best Answer

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you no longer want the home inventory provided by Quicken, you can search the HD for *.qhi and delete the file. This should clear the reference in Quicken, but the option to install will always remain until they remove from a future release.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you no longer want the home inventory provided by Quicken, you can search the HD for *.qhi and delete the file. This should clear the reference in Quicken, but the option to install will always remain until they remove from a future release.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Any clue on how to get Home Inventory so that I can actually add items?  I can access the program...but if I try to create a new file or do anything, it's just basically "dead".  Nothing happens.

I've re-installed the software...still nothing.

Not earth shattering if this doesn't work, but it's there...so it should.  

I know this a non-supported feature and beyond ancient.  Even though, is there some Windows compatibility setting I should be using?  I'm using Windows 10 Home. 
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @garysmith87
    Quicken Home Inventory is a decades old legacy add-on that has never been updated since release. My recommendation would be to find another home inventory app currently available and use that app to derive the total asset value to manually enter in Quicken.

I gave up on Home Inventory several years ago and find the newer apps to be super easy to use with photo capture on smartphones.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    That's not an answer to my question, although I can appreciate the response.

I'm fully aware the the Home Inventory module is a legacy Windows 95 style add on.  I'm aware of it's history.  I remember playing around with it prior to the subscription Quicken.  It worked just fine then.  

I've read all the posts on here with no satisfactory solution.  

My question isn't how do I find a replacement?  I certainly know how to do that.  My question is how do I get it to work.  Others have it working.  I do not.  I can get it to open and appear.  I can't get it to do anything if I click on NEW or OPEN. Why would that be?

If you tell me that there is a compatibility issue and there's a setting, I can try that.  If you tell me that the .qhi data file can't be opened or created...that's another issue which I'd like to know why.  If you tell me that NO ONE can use the Home Inventory add on, I'll move on.  But I'm pretty sure that others use the Home Inventory module...and we're just about all using Windows 10.  

But telling me to use something else just because... doesn't seem like a satisfactory explanation.  At least in my view.  I think I'd like someone else to chime in on this.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @garysmith87 I'm pretty sure that you aren't going to find a user that says "press this three times, stand on your head and it will work, kind of an answer".  As in when dealing with very old programs a lot of "luck" is involved, or bad luck in some people's situation.  Just the right conditions exist and it either works or it doesn't.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.