How to schedule an automated backup of the quicken file?

Options
This feature used to be in the desktop version and always had a backup to go my NAS.

This ability is not in the subscription version. You can create a complete backup but it's manual and not automated or scheduled.

How can we schedule the backup like before? It's a a complete value-add. I am beyond shocked that I didn't pay attention to it and didn't realize it. It would have been a catastrophe of epic proportions had I not realized that and something happened.

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The automatic backup hasn't gone anywhere, and in fact a while ago they started allowing you to decide where that automatic backup would go instead of always just backing up to where the original data file is:

And there is the manual backup reminder, which prompts you to backup your data file to some location.

Both of these happen as you are exiting Quicken.
    There has never been a backup that is on a "schedule", only based on how many times you have run Quicken.

As for scheduled automatic backups you should consider the fact that most like the Quicken data file isn't the only important file on your machine and have a backup scheme for all your important files.  You don't have to create a .QDF-Backup file with Quicken's backup method, you can just backup the .QDF file.  In fact the .QDF-Backup file is exactly the same as the .QDF file, they just use that type to know that instead of opening it in place like with a .QDF it asks you where to copy the .QDF-Backup before it opens the data file, and it also will create a new Quicken cloud dataset with that restore operation (note there is a limited amount of Quicken cloud datasets, and if you exceed them you have to get Quicken Support to delete them).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @davis.mc

To schedule an automatic backup - go to "Edit" > "Preferences > "Backup" and check the "Automatic Backups" box.  Then adjust the settings to fit your needs - then click "Okay"

Let me know of you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The automatic backup hasn't gone anywhere, and in fact a while ago they started allowing you to decide where that automatic backup would go instead of always just backing up to where the original data file is:

And there is the manual backup reminder, which prompts you to backup your data file to some location.

Both of these happen as you are exiting Quicken.
    There has never been a backup that is on a "schedule", only based on how many times you have run Quicken.

As for scheduled automatic backups you should consider the fact that most like the Quicken data file isn't the only important file on your machine and have a backup scheme for all your important files.  You don't have to create a .QDF-Backup file with Quicken's backup method, you can just backup the .QDF file.  In fact the .QDF-Backup file is exactly the same as the .QDF file, they just use that type to know that instead of opening it in place like with a .QDF it asks you where to copy the .QDF-Backup before it opens the data file, and it also will create a new Quicken cloud dataset with that restore operation (note there is a limited amount of Quicken cloud datasets, and if you exceed them you have to get Quicken Support to delete them).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @davis.mc

To schedule an automatic backup - go to "Edit" > "Preferences > "Backup" and check the "Automatic Backups" box.  Then adjust the settings to fit your needs - then click "Okay"

Let me know of you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks all! I didn't see that but now got it setup!
This discussion has been closed.