Another "categories cleanup" question (sorry!)

I see the Quicken-created _IntInc category, and I apparently created a category called "Interest Income."  Both categories are linked to transactions.  I wanted to merge my self-created category into the Quicken-created one, but it doesn't show up in the target list of categories, when merging.  The only underscore category that shows up is _Accrued Int TaxFree.  Should I be able to merge into _IntInc ?

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    _IntInc is one of the built-in/hidden categories, and it seems that when you click on a category in the category list and try to merge it, that dialog doesn't allow you to see hidden categories.

So instead do this:
    Tools -> Recategorize...

From there you can search for the transactions with the old category, and then select them all, and then the pulldown menu for the Recategorize as:
    This dialog does have a "Show hidden categories" check box that you can select so that you can see the IntInc category.

(P.S. You have to ever worry about asking a question, that is why we are here!)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have both interest categories. I believe Quicken creates the category "Interest Inc" when it creates a new data file, and "_IntInc" when an investment account is added.
    You don't need to merge them unless it bothers you. _IntInc is meant for investment interest, and the other one is meant for banking account interest. They both go to Schedule B:Interest Income.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    _IntInc is one of the built-in/hidden categories, and it seems that when you click on a category in the category list and try to merge it, that dialog doesn't allow you to see hidden categories.

So instead do this:
    Tools -> Recategorize...

From there you can search for the transactions with the old category, and then select them all, and then the pulldown menu for the Recategorize as:
    This dialog does have a "Show hidden categories" check box that you can select so that you can see the IntInc category.

(P.S. You have to ever worry about asking a question, that is why we are here!)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have both interest categories. I believe Quicken creates the category "Interest Inc" when it creates a new data file, and "_IntInc" when an investment account is added.
    You don't need to merge them unless it bothers you. _IntInc is meant for investment interest, and the other one is meant for banking account interest. They both go to Schedule B:Interest Income.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go into Tools / Category List.
    Put a checkmark at "show hidden categories"
    Scroll down the list until you see all the built-in category names beginning with "_"(underscore)
    Remove the "Hide" checkmark from all the categories which you have transactions for(*) and which you want to be able to see in reports and views (like the budget)
    (*) There's an optional column in the Category List, "Usage", which shows how many transaction are on file using this category. If the column doesn't show in your Category List, click the gear icon in the upper right hand corner of the view and click to put a checkmark at "Usage".
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    Go into Tools / Category List.
    Put a checkmark at "show hidden categories"
    Scroll down the list until you see all the built-in category names beginning with "_"(underscore)
    Remove the "Hide" checkmark from all the categories which you have transactions for(*) and which you want to be able to see in reports and views (like the budget)
    (*) There's an optional column in the Category List, "Usage", which shows how many transaction are on file using this category. If the column doesn't show in your Category List, click the gear icon in the upper right hand corner of the view and click to put a checkmark at "Usage".
    Thank you - the _IntInc (into which I was trying to merge) is not hidden, but it still won't let me merge there. 

I hesitate to Find/Recategorize, because there's SO many transactions, it takes forever.

I'm just going to use my Interest Income category for bank and the built-in _IntInc for investment interest, as suggested.

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    EmKay said:
    I hesitate to Find/Recategorize, because there's SO many transactions, it takes forever.

I'm just going to use my Interest Income category for bank and the built-in _IntInc for investment interest, as suggested.
    Or, you can leave current transactions in Interest Income and change new and future transactions to _IntInc, as of today or as of next year, as you prefer.

This discussion has been closed.