Bug Report

I'm using Quicken Version 6.4.4 (Build 604.41834.100) on an iMac running Catalina. I like to leave Quicken hidden in the background all day rather than quitting and reopening it. I've noticed with the latest build that this gives rise to a bug. If after some period of time where it's been in the background and I click on the refresh icon to update my accounts, I get a message box saying that this is an older version of my file, offering me the option of opening a different file, etc. So at that point I select Cancel, quit Quicken, and reopen it immediately and everything is fine...for a while until the bug appears again. This was not the case in the past. Please fix this.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    This forum is not the place to report bugs like this; you should use Report a Problem under Quicken's Help menu. The developers don't read reports from users on this forum, which is primarily for user-to-user support. 

Just to check, are you certain your Quicken data file is stored locally on your hard drive, and not on iCloud or Dropbox? Storing your data file on one of those cloud services (which is not sanctioned by Quicken for a variety of reasons) could conceivably result in the type of error you're seeing.

Also, I'd ask how long it take for you to launch Quicken. For me, it's about 6-7 seconds, so I prefer to quite Quicken each time I'm done with it, even if I need to relaunch it a few times in a day. Quitting a program makes sure all data is properly flushed from memory to the data file in case your Mac crashes/freezes before you close the file. (If it only take a few seconds to launch, then this shouldn't be a problem; if it takes you considerably longer, then I'd understand why you leave it open.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Stratocaster
    Stratocaster Member ✭✭
    Thank you, that is all good information. You are right, I am keeping the Quicken data in iCloud, so that must be why. In any event it's not a crucial problem, just an annoyance. Thanks again, sf
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Stratocaster  I'd strongly encourage you to move your data file off iCloud. It seems to work fine for most people most of the time... until it suddenly doesn't. All sorts of strange problems, up to and including being locked out of one's data file, have been attributed to storing the data file on a cloud service rather than the local hard drive. I've read too many grief-filled posts of people saying "but it always worked up until now..." to not bring this up. If you use Quicken on more than one computer, cloud storage obviously makes this easier, but there are strategies for keeping the data file local while using iCloud for moving a secure copy of the data file between machines. It's also fine to use iCloud for Quicken backups if that's your goal; the issue is with the live data file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.