Does copying a file copy the password vault?

After copying data file, the password vault has same password as old file, but is now empty and the add password button does nothing.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @kz0f0m

Quicken's "Copy File" function changed in June 2021 with release R34.13.  When you use that function now, the "copy" will have "disconnected" any of the previously "connected accounts".  You can read more about that in this excerpt from the Release Notes:

Version R34.13 (June, 2021)
    What's new
    ·
    Improvements
    · Copy and Backup File support has been updated to prevent connection problems.
    o Using a copy of a Quicken file that contains connected accounts, syncs to the cloud, or uses services such as Bill Presentment or Quicken Bill Manager can cause problems if you perform certain connected actions in the file copy and then switch back to using the original file. To prevent these issues, using the Copy command in Quicken will now create a copy that has all the online services disconnected. This is useful when creating an archive file you don’t intend to update in the future via download, or when you’d like to use the new file as a “template” or starting point for a new, separate Quicken file. 
    o If you only want to create a copy of your file for troubleshooting purposes or to experiment with a new feature, you can also make a copy, then reconnect any accounts you need, and proceed to use the copy.
    o If you want to make a complete Backup of your file to possibly restore in the future, use the Backup option instead. A backup will not have connected services disabled when you open the backup via the Restore Backup feature.
    o Please review this help document <https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=17891968&gt; if you have questions.

If you want a copy of your datafile that will not have the links removed, my suggestion is that you make a "Backup" of the file using Quicken's backup function.  That function still produces a complete copy of your datafile, including passwords, etc.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @kz0f0m

Quicken's "Copy File" function changed in June 2021 with release R34.13.  When you use that function now, the "copy" will have "disconnected" any of the previously "connected accounts".  You can read more about that in this excerpt from the Release Notes:

Version R34.13 (June, 2021)
    What's new
    ·
    Improvements
    · Copy and Backup File support has been updated to prevent connection problems.
    o Using a copy of a Quicken file that contains connected accounts, syncs to the cloud, or uses services such as Bill Presentment or Quicken Bill Manager can cause problems if you perform certain connected actions in the file copy and then switch back to using the original file. To prevent these issues, using the Copy command in Quicken will now create a copy that has all the online services disconnected. This is useful when creating an archive file you don’t intend to update in the future via download, or when you’d like to use the new file as a “template” or starting point for a new, separate Quicken file. 
    o If you only want to create a copy of your file for troubleshooting purposes or to experiment with a new feature, you can also make a copy, then reconnect any accounts you need, and proceed to use the copy.
    o If you want to make a complete Backup of your file to possibly restore in the future, use the Backup option instead. A backup will not have connected services disabled when you open the backup via the Restore Backup feature.
    o Please review this help document <https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=17891968&gt; if you have questions.

If you want a copy of your datafile that will not have the links removed, my suggestion is that you make a "Backup" of the file using Quicken's backup function.  That function still produces a complete copy of your datafile, including passwords, etc.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    It depends on how you copied the file.  If you selected File > Copy or Backup File... and chose Create a copy or template or Create a year-end archive, Quicken disconnects the Online Services which will clear any entries in the Password Vault.  Otherwise, the entries in the Password Vault should persist.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @kz0F0m

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. I would recommend deleting your Password Vault since it is empty and re-add your bank credentials. 

For instruction and more information please visit the link below. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-work-password-vault-and-stored-passwords

Hope this helps. Let us know of any questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • kz0f0m
    kz0f0m Member ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I didn't know that was the case. I will backup/restore and try again.
This discussion has been closed.