Monthly Transactions by Category (Q Mac)

Chfrat160
Chfrat160 Member ✭✭
edited November 2021 in Reports (Mac)
I need a report like the Transactions by Category report but I need to have a column for each month. I am only looking at income accounts so the number of transactions shouldn't be overly consuming, but would like to have it broken out into monthly columns. Any ideas?
Tagged:

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    What version of QMac are you using?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Chfrat160
    Chfrat160 Member ✭✭
    Mac Version: 11.2.3
  • Chfrat160
    Chfrat160 Member ✭✭
    Sorry, the Deluxe Version of Quicken for Mac
  • RickO
    Okay, by "Deluxe Version", I'm going to assume you mean the current subscription version (6.4.4). If you are still using Quicken 2017 as indicated by your forum profile, this probably won't help.

To me, a transaction report with a column for each month that contains all the transaction details doesn't really make sense. It sounds like what you are after is a report with categories down the left side and a column for each month, where each entry is the amount total for that category for that month. This is easy to accomplish. Instead of a Transaction report, you need a Summary report. Under Popular Reports, select Category Summary by Month. Customize as desired and there you go.
  • Chfrat160
    Chfrat160 Member ✭✭
    But that will not give me the itemization of details in each category. I only have 3 income categories which have multiple entries in each category each month. I would like the category total and then the details of the Payor (source of income) to fall below the category total. Hope that makes sense.
    For example (but in column form), Store Income broken into monthly columns with details of the source of income such as Paychecks with an itemization of that month's entries, Draws with an itemization of that month's entries. Quicken might not be that detailed. I don't know.
  • RickO
    From the sound of it, each of your month columns would need to have sub columns for the amount, the payee, and whatever other transaction details you want included. Multi-level columns in a report is not something that Quicken can do. 

One other suggestion would be to make a Summary report with Payees as the rows and Months as the columns (Payee Summary by Month), and in the customization, limit the categories to your three income categories. This won't differentiate which category corresponds to which payee, but may get you close to what you want.

Other than that, to truly get what you're describing, my only suggestion would be to make a Transaction by Category report for a single month and export that to CSV. Repeat for each month. Then merge the CSV files into a single spreadsheet in Excel or Numbers.
This discussion has been closed.