Selecting large groups of transactions for deletion

Options
Oompii
Oompii Member ✭✭
I need to delete a very large group of cleared transactions that I accepted for they are dups to already reconciled transactions. I have isolated by sorting them by date and cleared. I cannot figure out how to [select them all] in the register. Can someone tell me please? Can I assume that a deletion of a large group, if highlighted, will not affect the reconciled (unselected) transactions? Thank you so much.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hi @Oompii,

Can you tell me what version of Quicken (Windows or Mac) you are running, which type of account is involved and whether the transactions in this one register are contiguous?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    In non-investment account register, left-click and press Shift + left click may be used to select a range and then press Ctrl + D to delete the selected transactions.

In an investment account register, you may use the Edit Multiple Transactions window (press Ctrl + Shift + N and select Edit Multiple Transactions) or a customized Transaction report (select Reports > Banking > Transaction, press Alt + C, the Accounts tab, choose Selected accountsClear All, check the account, and select OK).  Note: The left-click and press Shift + left click may again be used to select a range.
  • Oompii
    Oompii Member ✭✭
    Options
    Q Deluxe, Windows, credit card register
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @Oompli

Okay, thanks for the additional information.  And to answer your direct question above - "Can I assume that a deletion of a large group, if highlighted, will not affect the reconciled (unselected) transactions?" - the answer is yes, but you obviously do need to be careful that you don not include any reconciled or other transactions that you want to keep, in the selected transactions.

I would suggest that you take the following steps in the order presented below:

1) First, make a new backup copy of your datafile, so that if something goes wrong, no harm is done;
    2) Next, place your cursor at the top of the "Clr" column in the "Clr box" and click on "Clr" two or three times - until the order of entry shows "R" entries at the top;
    3) At this point, your transactions should be sorted in the following order (from top to bottom) - first the "R" entries, next the "c" transactions, and finally the "no entry" or "blank" entries;
    4) As you proceed from here, you should obviously not select any transactions in the "R" section. But you'll need to review all transactions below the "R" transactions, for duplicates;
    5) When you do find duplicate entries that are contiguous, you should click on (highlight) the first one and then - while holding down the "Shift" key - click on the last one in the series that you want to delete.  This will highlight all of those "duplicate transactions". Then use the "Ctrl+D+Enter" keys to delete all of those highlighted transactions.
    6) Continue through the register until you've identified all dups and deleted them.

Hopefully the above directions are understandable, but if you have any followups, feel free to revert.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.