Bug in data entry for investment transactions

There has been an annoying bug in the data entry process for new investment transactions. The default date of the transaction does not work correctly. After a "buy" transaction, the date proposed for the next entry updates correctly to the last used date. However, for all other types of investment account transactions, the proposed date does not change. The input should be corrected to behave like transaction entry in other types of accounts: the date of the next transaction defaults to the date of the previously entered transaction.

Comments

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Confirmed.  I have the same issue.

BUY keeps the last entered transaction date.

All other investment transaction types default back to the current date.  

It's been this way forever...and is just another quirk that has to be navigated around.  

A fix would be nice.  
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2021
    I suggest that everyone who is annoyed by this report it as a bug (Help > Report a Problem). You won't get any reply, but perhaps if there are several bug reports on this, someone at Quicken will check it and see that it is indeed working in this odd way, and enter it as a bug in their system to be fixed. (Perhaps it already exists in their bug database; we have no way of knowing.)

There's also the possibility that they have looked at this and looked at their specs and realized that they never wrote into their specs that the date should remain on the last-entered date. They would then label this as "working as designed", and the change in date behavior would be considered an enhancement rather than a bug fix. Even if it seems illogical to work the way it does, if it isn't doing something it was supposed to do, they don't consider it a bug.

But it's worth people reporting this, or at least, it can't hurt to take two minutes to do so.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Hello @garysmith87 & @BrianGee,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and report this issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Yes please do as @jacobs stated above and report the issue as a bug through your software. I am unable to recreate this on my end, so if you would like to update this discussion with screenshots of what exactly you are noticing, I can report the bug from my end as well. 

If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Look forward to hearing back from you all on this. 

Quicken Alyssa

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2021
    @Quicken Alyssa It should be easy to experience this issue. Could you try these simple steps?
    1. Click on any Investment account
    2. Click New
    3. Set the transaction date to 9/30/21
    4. Set the Type to Reinvest Dividend
    5. Enter a security, value and number of shares for a transaction.
    6. Save
    7. Click New
    The date of this new transaction will show today's date, instead of 9/30/21 (the date of the last transaction).

Now repeat the same steps, but enter a Buy transaction. When you click New in the last step, you'll note that the new transaction has defaulted to 9/30/21 (the date of the last transaction), not today's date. This behavior is the same as happens in any banking register: after entering a transaction, starting a new transaction will default to the date of the previous transaction. This makes entering multiple transactions for a day easy.

The bug is that in investment accounts, while entering a Buy transaction works as expected, entering any other type of transaction will result in the next new transaction not retaining the date and reverting to the current date.

Please reply if you have tried this and see the same results. Thanks!

P.S. I submitted this description through Report a Problem. (I did not attach screen shots because it should be easily evident following these steps. If you need screenshots, though, let me know and I'll go through it again to capture the screenshots.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • BrianGee
    BrianGee Member
    Further to Jacop's excellent description of the problem: after having added a buy transaction, and thus changing the default date, all future transactions will default to the new date, until it is changed by a new buy transaction.
  • Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    edited November 2021
    Thank you @jacobs,

I was able to recreate this with the steps you provided. I will report this as a bug from our end. 

Also, thank you @BrianGee for creating this discussion to report this issue and participating in working to get it resolved. 

Unfortunately, we have no ETA as to when it will be resolved in the software, but the necessary information has been sent to the development team.

Quicken Alyssa
    (CTP-3020)
This discussion has been closed.