How to Convert Quicken 98 Mac data file to Quicken Deluxe 2021 for Mac

Options
I need to Convert a Quicken 98 Mac data file to Quicken Deluxe 2021 for Mac. There appears to be no download for an intermediate Quicken version to allow a multi-step conversion (like there is for Windows). Also, no option to convert my data file to a QIF format.

Any help here on this? Thanks!

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Yes, I'm afraid that's a pretty tall order to load a database from software which is more than two decades old. You would need multiple intermediate versions, as well as a Mac with the older operating system needed to run them. 

This its generally what you need. I may be off by a year with a version, but someone else will likely jump in if I am. I believe Quicken Mac 2005 was still able to open Quicken 98 data files. So you'd need Quicken 2005. In order to run that, you'd need an older Mac which can run Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or older; anything newer won't run Quicken 2005. Then you'll need Quicken 2007 to read the Quicken 2005 file. (And Quicken 2007 can only read files back to Quicken 2005.) The resulting Quicken 2007 data file is the only one the current Quicken Mac can convert.

Quicken 2007 can be hard to find, but I've seen a website which shows it as a free download. I haven't tried in and can't vouch for it. There's also someone who sells it on eBay. The harder part will be finding Quicken 2005 for Mac. And if you don't have an older Mac running Snow Leopard or older, you'll need to try to locate one to use briefly. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • LDanly
    LDanly Member
    Options
    Thanks, Jacob! Your help is much appreciated.

I do have an older Mac and managed to convert data from '98 to '05. Now I just need to find Quicken 2007.

That said, my Quicken 2005 will export data to a QIF file, so maybe I won't need that extra step. If that's the case I'll report back.

Again...thanks!

LD
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Hey, that's great. Getting to Quicken 2005 is usually the toughest challenge.

I think you're likely to have better results importing a Quicken 2007 data file than an old QIF file, but you can certainly give it a try.

Google "quicken mac 2007 download" and you'll find options for the free download I referenced as well as purchasing it from an unethical but useful eBay user. ;) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.