Unwanted: emojis!

Okay they're real cute. But when I'm trying to type in Deposit and ALL it gives me is a list of emojis to choose from and it won't let me TYPE WORDS, it's not cute anymore. Tell me how to JUST do my business WITHOUT ANY smiley faces.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2021
    Please tell us what version of Quicken you're using and exactly where and how you are trying to type this. It sounds like some kind of glitch/setup issue with your computer.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Hello @CmCmCmCm6_

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this annoying issue. To better assist you could you let us know in what specific area they keep appearing? Is it specifically when entering a payee, category, amount, etc? 

Also, after doing some digging I have found that there is no way to turn off or disable them. [Removed- Edited for accuracy]

-Quicken Paloma
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Also, after doing some digging I have found that there is no way to turn off or disable them. We apologize for the inconvenience. 
    @Quicken Paloma Huh? I'm not clear I understand what inconvenience you're apologizing for. If every character the user types is an emoji, that's not a problem with Quicken, but you seem to be validating that it is.

@CmCmCmCm6_ Are you entering transactions on your Mac or on an iPad using the Quicken mobile app or web interface? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Hello @jacobs

To clarify emojis are actually available for Quicken for Mac desktop (I have not tested it on a mobile device yet). While they can be fun they can also be annoying like this user has stated. A visual example is below.

Once they are used and saved with a QuickFill rule (for example) the emoji box will occasionally pop up as well. In addition, I was apologizing for the fact that I have not found a way to turn off or disable them in the register preferences. 

-Quicken Paloma

• jacobs
    @Quicken Paloma Thanks for clarifying. I see that the Edit > Emoji & Symbols command exists, but it seems to simply invoke the Mac's Character Viewer window. If I'm in the Payee field and I select Emoji & Symbols, and then type alphabetic characters, the alphabetic characters I type are still input into the Payee field, not emoji; I have to take my hand off the keyboard to click on an emoji to enter it into the Payee field. (Perhaps this is different in different versions of macOS?)

It's interesting that in your screenshot, the keyboard command for Emoji & Symbols shows as Function-E. The default for Quicken for this menu command is Command-Control-E. Did you perhaps edit the command key for this menu in your System Preferences setup? Because that's what I was going to suggest if someone finds they accidentally opens the emoji viewer: edit the keyboard shortcut (in System Preferences) to make it more obscure/harder to accidentally enter, like Command-Option-Control-Shift-7. But I think pressing Command-Control-E by mistake is already pretty obscure, so I'm thinking this is not the problem the user is having. ;)
  • Thanks everyone for your comments. The emoji problem happened when trying to type in "Deposit" yesterday as well. It brought up the emojis box so I could choose which one I wanted! I couldn't even type in the name of my Payee. Today, just as when you get an appliance repair person over to the house, when I finally had a Quicken tech on the phone, it worked as it's supposed to, and it was the first he had heard of it. I'm a Mac laptop user with the latest update of Quicken, not using the Quicken app. Neither of us could find a way to eliminate emojis from System Preferences or the Quicken Edit menu. So it must be Apple's thing, not Quicken's. To interfere with typing is unacceptable. Thanks again.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    In Quicken Mac, go to Window > Payees and Rules, then check each of the THREE headings.  When you find the saved emoji payee or saved emoji rule, delete it by clicking on the minus sign at the bottom of the screen or by right clicking on the payee or rule and selecting Delete Rule.  
  • garysmith87 THANK YOU, I followed your suggestions step for step, all three drop-downs, including, Payees > Names > Rules : My whole list contains ZERO rules.

I'm ready to start my beginning of the month record keeping and now I have to spend ANOTHER half hour waiting on hold for Quicken Help to show me how to rid my WORK of CARTOONS.
  • screen shot: I'm trying to type "Interest"
  • RickO
    I've never seen the emoji picker actually attached to the text input field like this. Here are some things you could try:

In the upper right corner is this symbol: . What happens if you click that?

You may also want to open System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources and see if you have anything there other than the standard US keyboard. If there's only the standard US one, try adding another and then deleting it.

Also in System Preferences > Keyboard, see if you have anything selected for "Press Fn to..." and change to Nothing. 

Try hitting Cntrl-Command-SpaceBar while in the field to see it that makes the emoji viewer go away.

Start up the Mac in Safe Mode to see if there's a third party app or utility causing this: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/start-up-your-mac-in-safe-mode-mh21245/mac

• jacobs
    edited December 2021
    RickO said:
    I've never seen the emoji picker actually attached to the text input field like this.
    I agree. It's definitely a macOS issue, not a Quicken issue. I spent some time today trying to replicate it, and have been unsuccessful. But I think it's because I'm using an older iMac, and older Apple keyboard, and an older operating system (Mojave). I did discover that the keystroke Command-Control-spacebar opens the Character Viewer window, something I never knew before. 

But there's a newer wrinkle I can't check this because I'm using Mojave on an older Mac keyboard. On the new Mac keyboards, the key in the lower left — which was previously just the "fn" key — now has the "globe" icon () on it. 

Open System Preferences > Keyboard. Under the Key Repeat speed selector, on older Macs and operating systems, there was a checkbox for "Show keyboard and emoji viewers in menu bar." But either the newer OS or hardware removes that setting and replaces it with "Press  to" followed by a dropdown list where the default is "Change Input Source" but the second option is "Show Emoji & Symbols". So if this preference is set to Show Emoji, then simply pressing the  key would bring up the emoji character viewer.

While it's possible you hit that key by mistake once or twice in lieu of the Shift key, I'm pretty sure you don't press this every time you type. But I'm guessing there's something that's been mapped or set tied to this key in macOS System Preferences. 
  • I tried all of your suggestions, thank you for your time! Fortunately today it's acting right, hope that lasts!
  • RickO
    Any idea which one fixed it (to help any future users with this issue)?
  • RickO, I don't know "which one fixed it." I'm not sure it's fixed. I did follow every suggestion given by you all but nothing was applicable. To work around it I ended up scrolling through the alphabetical list of Payees to click the one I wanted, and the problem didn't always recur. Why in the world it started, or was intermittent, who knows. I have to go back to work next week and hope it doesn't happen anymore. Thanks again!
  • And it's there again.
This discussion has been closed.