Quicken shared on multiple computers

Options
I use Quicken 37.25, and I routinely work across two identical computers. I sync the computer files with dropbox. I'd like to be able to open quicken on either machine and to open/edit my account files. The C:\Users\cfinelli\Documents\Quicken\ path is not part of the files that sync across my machine. So, to make this work, I wonder whether (1) I can move the Quicken files to a location on my machines that does sync or (2) I need to sync the C:\Users\cfinelli\Documents\Quicken\ path.
Thanks for any help.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You do not want to work with a Quicken file that is in a Dropbox monitored directory.  Dropbox will get in the way when you do Quicken backups and may do a sync with a half updated file.
    You could copy your data file from its normal location to the Dropbox folder for syncing before and after using Quicken to keep the Dropbox copy the latest.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• cfinelli
    cfinelli Member
    Options
    OK - I think that helps. What about creating a backup for my file, syncing the back up, and then opening that file on my second computer? Would that work?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We used to advise users to use backup/restore to move the file between the computers, but Quicken now has a "dataset" counter in the background that if it exceeds some number, you have to call Quicken support to get it reduced  (but only by one), but subsequent restores will cause it again and another call to support.
    You are better off just copying the .QDF data file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• cfinelli
    cfinelli Member
    Options
    OK - will do. Thank you!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FWIW, you can also change the file extension on a Quicken backup from .QDF-backup to .QDF and then open it directly in Quicken. Of course, you should move the backup file from Dropbox to a local folder first.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • RichardCSchreyer
    RichardCSchreyer Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why not just use Windows One Drive
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can I Install Quicken On Multiple Computers? Do I Need To Purchase Quicken Again To Install It On A New Computer?

Can I install or use Quicken on a network?

We don't recommend sharing or attempting to sync Quicken data files between computers on a network, as this may lead to data file damage.  We also strongly advise against installing Quicken on a network. Quicken is not designed to be used over a network or shared drive.

Quicken incrementally saves your data as it's entered. Saving Quicken data files locally (directly on your computer's hard drive), and not over a network, decreases the risk of data loss. Network instability or the use of a single data file by multiple people at the same time will often lead to data integrity issues.

Due to the many possible network configurations, Quicken doesn't offer technical assistance for this type of configuration.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.