Reporting on only credit card payments

jcm
jcm Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Mac)
I'd like to build something like a transaction report that only includes payments made for a given credit card. I don't want to include refunds or other credits to the account, jut the monthly payment. I don't always make the payments from the same checking account, so I think I have to report from the CC account side of things. The payments are recorded as transfers from the checking account to the CC account with a unique name for each credit card as the "payee." I've tried a transaction report with the credit card name I use as the only "payee", but the reports keep coming up empty - "There were no transactions for the filter settings." Hopefully, someone out in Quicken Land has done something like this and can tell me what I'm missing. TIA

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I agree with @garysmith87 : I would never use Transfer:Credit Card Payment as a category for a credit card payment; that removes money from the checking account, but doesn't record the payment in the credit card account. I would always use Transfer:[accountname] in the checking account category to create a linked transfer in the credit card account (or use the Transfer column).

Creating a report for transfers to a specific credit card is do-able. You could build it from the credit card side or the checking accounts side. Here's the former:
    • Go to Reports
    • Select Transactions by Category
    • Click Edit
    • Set the date range for whatever time period you want in the report
    • Click the Accounts tab
    • Click Selected Accounts
    • Click Clear All
    • Check the one credit card account you want to report on (or actually you could check the "Credit Card" group to check all credit card accounts; you just don't want any of the checking accounts from which you paid the credit card)
    • Click the Payees tab
    • Click Clear All
    • Check the Payee name you use when you pay the credit card you want to report on (e.g. "Hilton Amex" or "Chase Visa")
    • Click the Advanced tab
    • Click "Include only transfers with accounts outside of report"

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you used the special required category "Transfer:Credit Card Payment", then this is super easy. Just limit the transaction report to that category only.

If not, I'd suggest using that category going forward. But in the mean time, create a transaction report and limit the Accounts to those (and only those) accounts from which payments may have been made. Then limit the Payee to those (and only those) named credit card payees. Make sure that the Category and Tags fields are set to include "Any" category/tag. 

If you are still coming up empty, please post a screenshot of the report setup screen as well as of an example transaction so we can try to help further.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    RickO...

Why would someone use the Transfer:Credit Card Payment "required" category?

Everyone on this forum always suggests that the category should be [CreditCard], where CreditCard is the actual name of the credit card account in Quicken. This will appear in the category field as Transfer:[CreditCard].

Alternatively, in the Transfer column the actual credit card name should be selected.  

Your "recommended" method designates a transfer, but the fact that you added the suffix Credit Card Payment will NOT transfer the amount to the credit card.

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    I agree with @garysmith87 : I would never use Transfer:Credit Card Payment as a category for a credit card payment; that removes money from the checking account, but doesn't record the payment in the credit card account. I would always use Transfer:[accountname] in the checking account category to create a linked transfer in the credit card account (or use the Transfer column).

Creating a report for transfers to a specific credit card is do-able. You could build it from the credit card side or the checking accounts side. Here's the former:
    • Go to Reports
    • Select Transactions by Category
    • Click Edit
    • Set the date range for whatever time period you want in the report
    • Click the Accounts tab
    • Click Selected Accounts
    • Click Clear All
    • Check the one credit card account you want to report on (or actually you could check the "Credit Card" group to check all credit card accounts; you just don't want any of the checking accounts from which you paid the credit card)
    • Click the Payees tab
    • Click Clear All
    • Check the Payee name you use when you pay the credit card you want to report on (e.g. "Hilton Amex" or "Chase Visa")
    • Click the Advanced tab
    • Click "Include only transfers with accounts outside of report"

• jcm
    jcm Member ✭✭
    Thank you @jacobs - it was the section on the "Advanced Tab" that I was missing.

As to the other discussion this question prompted, I've been using Quicken since it first was released for the Mac (198that the only way I know how to handle credit card payments is the Transfer:[account name] as you said, it takes the money out of payment account and puts it in the CC account to "pay" the bill.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I feel I need to clarify something about the use of the Transfer:Credit Card Payment. Yes, using a regular (non-transfer) category is dubious practice. However, the Transfer:CCP category is NOT a regular category. It is a Transfer category and in fact is a subcategory of the main Transfer category. As such, Quicken handles it as a Transfer, which can be seen in how it's handled in reports.

The only downside of it is that you can't use the shorthand Transfer:[acct] nomenclature for a transfer. Personally, I use the Transfer column regularly so that doesn't bother me. In fact, I wish I could turn that nomenclature off, but the Quicken preference to do so has been broken for years.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    @RickO I'm confused. If you use the Transfer column for your transfers, why are you using a Category at all? When you enter the account in the Transfer field, Quicken auto fills the category field with "Transfer:[accountname]". Why are you changing it to Transfer:Credit Card Payment?
This discussion has been closed.