Can I manually import transaction data monthly? From a CSV file?

acbinsc
acbinsc Member
Hello! I just downloaded Quicken Deluxe w/subscription and am having some issues.

My main question is:
Can I import transaction data manually for both initial account setup and for monthly updates? When I import data, it creates a new account and I don't see a way to import to an existing account. I DO NOT want to link my accounts to Quicken. I want to import transaction data manually.

If yes, I need some help troubleshooting:
I've downloaded .qfx files from my bank account, but get the following error message when I try to import: "Quicken is unable to update this account because Web Connect support for your financial institution has been either temporarily, or permanently discontinued [CC-885]." I don't understand why it matters if Web Connect is discontinued since I'm importing it manually. Any ideas why this is happening? Any workarounds?

Is is possible to import .csv transaction data to all account types? Are there guidelines on formatting columns, column names, etc. based on account type?

Are there reputable tools/applications for converting .csv to .qfx?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    1) No, Quicken Mac does not allow you to import transactions as CSV files.

2) Yes, there are some third-party tools for converting CSV to QFX, which you can easily find by Googling. I cannot speak to whether they are "reputable." They have been around for awhile, so I assume they fill some people's needs. They inherently do something which is probably unethical, which is spoofing the identity of a financial institution known to be valid with Quicken, in order to insure their QFX files will be imported by Quicken.

3) Each financial institution decides which, if any, connection method to support for Quicken. If your bank chooses to support online Quicken Connect, but not files you can download to your desktop and then import, then you can get the error message you saw, informing you the financial institution is not registered to support Web Connect import of QFX files. you can check with your financial institution to see if they say they do support such a connection method. (If not, you can potentially use the trick the third-party programs use, which is finding the ID number of a valid financial institution and editing that one line in your downloaded QFX file to allow it to import. I can't vouch for this procedure, and I'm not recommending it; I'm saying that it's potentially a trick that can work.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    This question comes up from time to time here.

Your bank must be a Quicken authorized participating financial institution to have connected services with Quicken.

The long and the short of it is that Quicken decides who gets to download transactions into their software by applying to Quicken and supposedly paying a fee to Quicken (although that may be disputed by some that a fee is required).  But unless Quicken has your bank on it's approved list, you can't download transactions OR import a transaction data file.

In Quicken Mac, there is no way to import a .csv data file into Quicken, unless it's a Mint .csv data file.

There are some convertors that will convert a .csv file to .qfx.  Since this community will not allow the promotion of such products on this forum, you'll need to research them on your own.  

In addition, you may want to contact your bank's CEO or branch manager and strongly encourage them to contact Quicken Inc and sign up for transaction download.  Alternatively, find another bank that does download transactions to Quicken via Web Connect...and then tell your current bank you're taking your business elsewhere and why.  

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    1) No, Quicken Mac does not allow you to import transactions as CSV files.

2) Yes, there are some third-party tools for converting CSV to QFX, which you can easily find by Googling. I cannot speak to whether they are "reputable." They have been around for awhile, so I assume they fill some people's needs. They inherently do something which is probably unethical, which is spoofing the identity of a financial institution known to be valid with Quicken, in order to insure their QFX files will be imported by Quicken.

3) Each financial institution decides which, if any, connection method to support for Quicken. If your bank chooses to support online Quicken Connect, but not files you can download to your desktop and then import, then you can get the error message you saw, informing you the financial institution is not registered to support Web Connect import of QFX files. you can check with your financial institution to see if they say they do support such a connection method. (If not, you can potentially use the trick the third-party programs use, which is finding the ID number of a valid financial institution and editing that one line in your downloaded QFX file to allow it to import. I can't vouch for this procedure, and I'm not recommending it; I'm saying that it's potentially a trick that can work.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • acbinsc
    acbinsc Member
    Thanks! Very helpful info!
This discussion has been closed.