Reconciliation seems include.out of range deposits since the update

Options
kleeberg
kleeberg Member ✭✭
All the bank accounts I have checked so far show deposits well outside the reconciliation range which can show the quicken balance being way off.

For an example, a credit card that I have not used in years and has a zero balance when looking at the account from the main window, suddenly shows a quicken balance of over $100K in the reconciliation window. It is showing every deposit made in the account the reconciliation window. Charges are showing the appropriate date range.

Is there a solution for this?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• kleeberg
    kleeberg Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It always seems when you take the car into the mechanic the problem goes away. I did a live session with Quicken support and one of the accounts that was way off worked as expected. The other account that I had not used in months and I mentioned above did not show any of the deposits as being reconciled since I got the card 8 years ago even though I had been reconciling it all along. That was clearly an error in teh application. Selecting all, saying they were reconciled and saving it fixed the problem. I've now checked all the accounts and everything seems to be working as expected. Who knows?

Answers

• kleeberg
    kleeberg Member ✭✭
    Options
    I really should do a better job of proofing before I send. Sorry.
  • kleeberg
    kleeberg Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It always seems when you take the car into the mechanic the problem goes away. I did a live session with Quicken support and one of the accounts that was way off worked as expected. The other account that I had not used in months and I mentioned above did not show any of the deposits as being reconciled since I got the card 8 years ago even though I had been reconciling it all along. That was clearly an error in teh application. Selecting all, saying they were reconciled and saving it fixed the problem. I've now checked all the accounts and everything seems to be working as expected. Who knows?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I'm wondering what made you start a Reconciliation on this account if it hasn't been used for years? I just want to make sure we're not missing some important point.

So in the reconciliation window, what happens if you click the Mark all as Cleared button? If that makes the Difference at the top equal zero, then I'd think you could just click Finish to have Quicken mark every transaction as reconciled.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • kleeberg
    kleeberg Member ✭✭
    Options
    I checked the account I had not used in years to see what would happen. Though I had reconciled it over the years, I was showing all the charges I made with the card as reconciled but none of the payments as reconciled. I checked that after trying to reconcile a current account which also did not show of any of the years of deposits as reconciled though I reconcile it on a monthly basis. Magically, the active account fixed itself and the one I had not used reconciled the hundreds of unreconciled deposits, clicked clear and suddenly all was good,

I just checked another credit card account and all transactions show as cleared but non of the deposits show as cleared since I started using the card. Once again, selecting all and marking as cleared fixed it. Interestingly. This issue has occurred with 5 of 6 of our credit cards. Not on any other account types that I could find had a problem. Also the bank account from which the payment was made showed the payment as cleared.

All is good for me (for now) but it sure was odd behavior.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @kleeberg. Wow, that does sound incredibly weird! The only explanation I can even fathom would be that you loaded a register of all Income transactions, selected all, clicked on a reconciled checkmark, and said okay to the warning about it changing the status. That would produce the result you're describing, with all deposits being unreconciled across all accounts. But I'm guessing you'll say there is no way you did that sequence of actions! ;)

In any case, I'm glad everything is reconciled okay now. Hopefully this was a one-time fluke, whether created by Quicken or user intervention, and you'll never see it again!
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • kleeberg
    kleeberg Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, I have been known to do very stupid things but how I would do those actions in each of the accounts is beyond me. I will also say, I have transactions in Quicken that go back to Jan 1997. It amazes me that this application is able to manage that and produce reports as fast as it can.

I hope this does not occur to anyone else but thought it would b valuable to spell this out in case it does.

Wishing you all the best this holiday season.
This discussion has been closed.