Why does Mac version not allow transfers from investing accounts to banking accounts?

Options
joanpech
joanpech Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Windows version allows it! As a result, transferring a quicken windows file to a Mac Quicken file (using the cloud program)makes errors, for example with an account such as Schwab brokerage. As a result, I am forced to keep on using quicken windows running on my Mac through the VMWARE virtual machine.
Tagged:

Comments

• joanpech
    joanpech Member ✭✭
    Options
    Here is an example: the data was generated by the cloud program converting from Windows to Mac. This file is the data on quicken mac.
  • joanpech
    joanpech Member ✭✭
    Options
    Here is the set of transactions in quicken windows translated into the mac by the cloud progarm
  • joanpech
    joanpech Member ✭✭
    Options
    Please fix this problem. May be it can be fixed in the cloud program by adding transaction in the case of accounts such as Fidelity
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    QMac definitely does allow you to transfer funds to/from an investing account from/to a banking account. You do this by making a transaction of type Payment/Deposit and putting Transfer:[accountname] in the Category column or putting the account name in the Transfer column.

I have no idea if such transactions are imported correctly from QWin to QMac though. That may be one of those things that doesn't work right (among others) in the import process.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @joanpech Maybe I'm not observing what you're saying is problematic, so please post back to explain...

I'm looking at the 9/12 transaction in Quicken Windows, a SoldX transaction to sell 664 shares at $1 for $664 in cash. On the Mac side, I see two transactions: a Sell transaction for $664, followed by a transfer transaction to move the $664 in cash to the Fid CMA account. That seems like it converted properly. While Quicken Mac doesn't have the -X transactions of Quicken Windows, it seems like it correctly transferred it into two transactions for the sale and the transfer. 

Similarly, looking at the 9/1 BoughtX transaction for $1,000, I see the Mac versions shows a transfer transaction to bring in $1,000 from Bank of America, followed by a Buy transaction to purchase $1,000 of the Fid Cash& Spartn fund, That seems good, too. Same with the 8/10 BoughtX transaction. 

The 8/31 Reinvest Interest transaction seems to have come across fine as well. 

But there seems to be a problem with the 9/8 transaction, a BoughtX for $14,000. On the Mac side, I see the Buy transaction, but the transfer from whatever was the source of this transaction seems to be missing. Can you show the full Windows transaction, showing what it the source of the cash for this Buy? I'm wondering what makes this transaction different than the 9/1 and 8/10 transactions mentioned above.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Converting from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac has specific problems with certain types of investment transactions.

In Quicken Windows, BOUGHTX, SOLDX and WITHDRAWX are really two transactions in one...a buy or sell or withdraw AND a transfer.

Quicken Mac has no facility to parse those type of transactions and will never convert them properly. You'll need to change all those Windows transactions to TWO transaction types (for example, a BUY and a transfer) or you'll need to clean them up in the Mac version.

Personally, I had so many of those in my conversion that I just "started over" fresh in Quicken Mac as of January 1 way back when.  I found I really didn't miss those previous transactions...but that's just me.  
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    In Quicken Windows, BOUGHTX, SOLDX and WITHDRAWX are really two transactions in one...a buy or sell or withdraw AND a transfer. Quicken Mac has no facility to parse those type of transactions and will never convert them properly. You'll need to change all those Windows transactions to TWO transaction types (for example, a BUY and a transfer) or you'll need to clean them up in the Mac version.
    @garysmith87 But if you look at the example above, you'll see that some -- many -- of the -X transactions actually did convert correctly into two transactions in Quicken Mac.

But some didn't. Because I've never used Quicken Windows, and don't have files I can compare side-by-side, I can't discern why some transactions convert properly and some don't. If we could identify what transactions fail, it's possible the developers might look at fixing whatever's wrong in the converter.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.