Totally wrong money market fund value in Investment Register

kashg
kashg Member ✭✭
My "Investing" tab register shows a Vanguard MMF (VMFXX) holding incorrectly. The market value is shown correctly at $3,577 but the invested amount is way off at $276,577. When I look at the security by itself in the Security Detail View it is shown correctly with the cost and market value as $3,577.
I have run updates etc but the figure remains the same.
Strangely, the Amount Return is correct and not - $273,000. This is true for the individual security VMFXX and the Account Total including all securities in that account.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Tagged:

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The amount invested is not the cost.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Tell+me+about+key+investment+performance+calculations+used+in+Quicken
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @kashg

It sounds like you may have some data corruption.  Have you checked the individual transactions in the account to determine that there wasn't an error in the buy price at some point in time?  You can check this by reviewing each buy transaction in the register to make sure the buy price is $1.00

If the above doesn't locate the problem (and I believe it likely will not) then you should try Validating and potentially Super Validating your Quicken datafile.  Here's a link to guidance on these actions - LINK.  However before you take these steps, make sure that you have made a good recent backup of your datafile.

Let me know how this goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fundamentally, Amount Invested is the total of all Buys of that MM fund across the entirety of that account. It increases with each buy and does NOT decrease with sales. It does NOT represent the amount you invested to get your current holdings of that fund. 
  • kashg
    kashg Member ✭✭
    You are right. Thanks.
    But, to me this is a confusing way of reporting the amount invested.
  • kashg
    kashg Member ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I now understand thanks to you, how the amount invested is calculated.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    kashg said:
    You are right. Thanks.
    But, to me this is a confusing way of reporting the amount invested.
    You may want to consider voting for: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7667979/add-a-net-amount-invested-column-and-calculate-roi-using-the-net-amount-updated-title
This discussion has been closed.