QM 2021 stopped allowing me to drag a scheduled transaction over downloaded.

RCinNJ
RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
I don't know if this has to do with the latest update or not. I recently updated to 6.4.5. Usually if I have a scheduled transaction that downloads with the same amount but a different Payee name I can drag one over the other and combine them. QM is not allowing me to do this for a monthly transaction that I have been downloading for a year. In fact, QM has been downloading the transaction and using my naming so I haven't had to do anything. Did the latest update break something, or am I doing something wrong, or? I have attached a screen shot showing the duplicate transaction for 12/12/21 that I want to combine, and the last few months to show that QM was handling this fine until this month. I know I can just delete the downloaded transaction, but I do prefer Quicken to work correctly.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    In your screenshot, all the blue pencil transactions are already matched. (You can turn on the Match Status column to make this more clear.) Quicken won't let you drag and drop to match a downloaded transaction to one that's already been matched, so I think this is the problem. 

I can't tell you why that's happening. I suppose it's possible that you are receiving duplicate transactions in the download and so one of them auto-matches and the other is left as "downloaded". I've noticed a couple other posts recently about folks receiving duplicate transactions in Quicken Connect accounts, but honestly, I haven't paid that much attention. I don't recall which bank(s), etc. Sorry.

Or maybe somehow you just got off by one month in the series. You should search the register for other WSJ transactions and see if there's an older one that's unmatched. That may get you back on track.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    RickO said:
    In your screenshot, all the blue pencil transactions are already matched. (You can turn on the Match Status column to make this more clear.) Quicken won't let you drag and drop to match a downloaded transaction to one that's already been matched, so I think this is the problem. 

I can't tell you why that's happening. I suppose it's possible that you are receiving duplicate transactions in the download and so one of them auto-matches and the other is left as "downloaded". I've noticed a couple other posts recently about folks receiving duplicate transactions in Quicken Connect accounts, but honestly, I haven't paid that much attention. I don't recall which bank(s), etc. Sorry.

Or maybe somehow you just got off by one month in the series. You should search the register for other WSJ transactions and see if there's an older one that's unmatched. That may get you back on track.
    RickO, If I understand you correctly, you're saying the first 12/12/21 transaction may have already been downloaded and matched to my Scheduled Transaction? In which case the problem would be QM downloading the same transaction again? That would explain QM (correctly) refusing to combine them. I check online and it was only charged once.

As you suggested I turned on the Matched Status window. Never looked at this one before. Screenshot shows the first as Matched. Looks like the problem is a duplicate download. When I see two with the same name I can spot and fix this, but since it Matched and changed the name for the first one it was confusing for me. I'll have to watch and see if this duplicate downloads problem is happening more.

Thanks for your help.

• RickO
    RCinNJ said:
    RickO, If I understand you correctly, you're saying the first 12/12/21 transaction may have already been downloaded and matched to my Scheduled Transaction? In which case the problem would be QM downloading the same transaction again? 

Yes and no. It definitely matched a downloaded transaction to your scheduled one. It could be a duplicate, or it could be something else. As I mentioned above, it could be that your months got out of phase. But another situation I've seen cause this confusion is if you happened to have made an exactly $4 charge in the same account at for example, McDonalds, but didn't record it in the register manually. Quicken chose to match that one which left the WSJ transaction unmatched.

I'd suggest unmatching the Dec transaction (right click > Reject Automatic Transaction Match). Then you'll be able to see the details of exactly what was downloaded. It may give you more clarity.

If in fact there were duplicate transactions downloaded, it's more likely the fault of the bank. If so, I'd guess this is a Quicken Connect account where most duplicate issues arise. I've never had this myself as most of my accounts are Direct Connect. You might want to search the forum here for "duplicate transaction" to see what others have experienced. Or maybe search for issues with this particular bank.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    RickO said:
    If in fact there were duplicate transactions downloaded, it's more likely the fault of the bank.
    To add to this... Turn on the FITID column in your register temporarily. After you unmatch one of the transactions which is already matched, compare the FITID number on the two duplicate transactions. If the number is the same (which is unlikely) then Quicken is somehow to blame. But if the two FITID numbers, which are supplied by the financial institution, are different, then the blame is on the financial institution. Quicken uses these numbers to determine which transactions it downloads are new and which are duplicates; once a transaction is assigned an ID number, it should never change. If the financial institution somehow changes the numbers between download sessions, Quicken sees them as different transaction even though to your eye they are clearly duplicates. You'll have to pursue this with the bank, hopefully after being connected with someone who understands the details of Quicken/Intuit/QFX downloads, to demonstrate that they are doing something wrong. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    And yet another thing: if you do actually have a duplicate download, there is a circumstance where it can be kinda Quicken's fault: That is if you've had to reset the Quicken Cloud because, for example, you opened and connected a copy of the file on another machine. This will often trigger the download of duplicate transactions on Quicken Connect accounts.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    RickO said:
    And yet another thing: if you do actually have a duplicate download, there is a circumstance where it can be kinda Quicken's fault...
    ... or if you change connection methods, such as switching between Quicken Connect and Direct Connect, or downloading a QFX file and importing it. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    RickO and Jacobs, thanks as always for your help. Turning on the Match Status and FITID I can now see (I believe) it was downloaded twice and matched the first time (see screen shot). I did move Quicken to a new computer recently. I thought this happened far enough afterwards, but perhaps that is what caused it. When I "Reject automatic transaction match" the FITID disappears which makes sense since it is now unmatched. Incidentally, this account has always been Direct Connect so Quicken Connect is not the culprit.
  • RickO
    If you moved to a new computer, you probably had to do a reset of Quicken Cloud. If this is a Quicken Connect account, it's very likely to get some duplicates in that situation.

When you reject auto transaction match, the single matched transaction should become two: the manually entered one (orange pencil) and the downloaded one (blue dot). So you should then have two blue dot transactions. It's helpful to compare the payee and FITID on those two (ignoring the manually entered transaction). 
This discussion has been closed.