Can I delete all of old backup files and just keep the current one

bbroke
bbroke Member ✭✭
I have many old Quicken backup files on my computer do I need to keep them?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
     We may delete any backup files we do not want to keep.  I use Duplicati to maintain three months of encrypted daily backups that include my Quicken data file backups on GoogleDrive
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken data files are fragile and subject to corruption. The remedy is often to restore a backup. Sometimes people have to restore older and older backups until they find an uncorrupted one.
    If having many backups on your PC's disk drive is annoying you, I'd suggest moving them onto an external drive just in case you ever find you need one.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each backup is a complete copy of your Q data file as of the time of the backup.
    So you don't need to keep all of them.
    HOWEVER, data corruption can lurk undetected for a while before your copy of Q crashed due to data corruption.
    So, it's your call how many you want to keep.  Daily backups for a week or two, preceded by weekly backups, preceded by monthly backups has been previously suggested.
    NOTE that you can also backup to a USB (thumb) drive or such, so that if your computer gets trashed you still have your backup files stored separately.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• GregHT
    GregHT Member ✭✭
    I was told today by Quicken support that due to a file structure change (FBS to FBP) Quicken backups prior to 12/17/21 cannot be used any longer. If true, that's a pretty drastic change to make without informing users.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    GregHT said:
    I was told today by Quicken support that due to a file structure change (FBS to FBP) Quicken backups prior to 12/17/21 cannot be used any longer. If true, that's a pretty drastic change to make without informing users.
    It is not true.

Are you sure you spoke to Quicken Support?
  • bbroke
    bbroke Member ✭✭
    I did not ask Quicken that question, I have no idea where that came from
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    bbroke said:
    I have many old Quicken backup files on my computer do I need to keep them?

Hi @bbroke ,

If you have multiple backup years, instead of keeping all transactions in a single file, I would copy  the Backups onto USB Drives for safe keeping.

Also, every time you get an update, the update does a Manual Backup into a Backup Folder of your Data File Folder. Those Backups can be deleted, if you have Manual Backups off of the computer's Internal Hard Drive.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.