Is it possible to change a CUSIP number?

Bilwit
Bilwit Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Investing (Windows)
The Cusip numbers are reversed on two securities, and as a result price updates often get reversed. Not all the time but intermittently which is problematic. They are both Six Circles securities. Not sure how this happened and i would like to fix it. Thanks,

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The CUSIP number is assigned by your broker when an online security is matched to the security in Quicken.

To correct mismatches, edit the security details and uncheck the Matched to online security box for both securities.then the next time transactions are downloaded, you will be asked to match the downloaded security to a security in Quicken. Make sure you select this correctly.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    HI @Bilwit,

You should be able to fix this problem.  Here's how:

1) Go to "Investing" > "Security List";
    2) Click on the "Show hidden securities box at the bottom of the window;
    3) Page down and find the first problem security and "right click" on the name:
    4) Select "Edit" > in the pop-up window - "uncheck" "Matched with online security";
    5) In the new pop-up window - click "Yes";
    6) Click "OK" and then follow these same steps for the other problem security.
    7) Run One Step Update or go to the "Investing" tab and hit the "Update" button.  You should then be presented with/able to select, the correct CUSIP for each of the two securities.

Let me know how that goes or if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The CUSIP number is assigned by your broker when an online security is matched to the security in Quicken.

To correct mismatches, edit the security details and uncheck the Matched to online security box for both securities.then the next time transactions are downloaded, you will be asked to match the downloaded security to a security in Quicken. Make sure you select this correctly.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    HI @Bilwit,

You should be able to fix this problem.  Here's how:

1) Go to "Investing" > "Security List";
    2) Click on the "Show hidden securities box at the bottom of the window;
    3) Page down and find the first problem security and "right click" on the name:
    4) Select "Edit" > in the pop-up window - "uncheck" "Matched with online security";
    5) In the new pop-up window - click "Yes";
    6) Click "OK" and then follow these same steps for the other problem security.
    7) Run One Step Update or go to the "Investing" tab and hit the "Update" button.  You should then be presented with/able to select, the correct CUSIP for each of the two securities.

Let me know how that goes or if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Bilwit
    Bilwit Member ✭✭
    Thanks it worked, but not exactly as described. I did not have to select the correct CUSIP. as they both updated with the correct reversed CUSIPs. Thanks, Bill
  • Bilwit
    Bilwit Member ✭✭
    Not sure if this was seen by both responders but thanks to both Frank and Jim. Bill
  • dddeeds
    dddeeds Member
    I had a problem similar to the above except there was no CUSIP number associated with the mutual funds that came over (and the uncheck the Matched to online security box was already open/greyed out) with the one step online from my FI (or wasn't recorded by Quicken).

I could never get the online and quicken share balances to match even after manually entering a Ticker for the unknown securities.

I had to follow the instructions at https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7795439/faq-unidentified-security-problem-solution that uses a manual import from the FI to trigger Quicken to finally allow you to get the CUSIP along with the Ticker and match online balances and then after that had to fix the newly acquired OL-362-A error fix by deactivating and reactivating the online accounts in One Step Update here: https://www.quicken.com/support/message-when-using-online-services-ol-362 but it finally seems everything is working.

Sorry this comment doesn't exactly fit the above but the 3+ other similar threads to my no CUSIP issue (like https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867852/add-a-cusip-to-a-security ) were all closed and didn't have a solution for me and after a long day's work I wanted to post this fix here for anyone else with this similar issue to mine to help someone else in my predicament.
This discussion has been closed.